Brooklynella in maroon clown

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by chrisnif, Jan 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chrisnif

chrisnif Flamingo Tongue

Is there anything I can do above and beyond the every other day formalin baths? She got a formalin bath on Sunday and looked better, but by last night she looked bad again, she's swimming in the poison right now, 19 minutes left. I just wonder if there isnt something "better" I can do in addition to this treatment.

2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

a healthy diet... maybe some vitamin and garlic enriched foods

4. chrisnif

chrisnif Flamingo Tongue

I'm feeding garlic enriched flake (Omega 1 or something, I'd have to look at it again), and I give a "treat" of frozen blood worms or brine shrimp here and there soaked in garlic.

I just hope she starts turning around soon...I'm considering adding copper to make sure she doesnt get anything else, but I dont want to over do it either.

5. s10lowrider1994

s10lowrider1994 Feather Duster

The Formalin baths and garlic enriched food are pretty much all you can do. Some say hyposalinity can help but we've heard mixed opinions on that. We lost a pair of percs and a pair of tomato clowns to that disease a few months back. Its horrible and seems to take over the fish pretty fast. You could increase the frequency of the baths to cure the fish but apparently Brooklynella will live for quite some time in your tank.

6. chrisnif

chrisnif Flamingo Tongue

Well her body seems to be improving, her fins are terrible though, and she is breathing very very rapidly (which may be due to the low dose long term formalin it says 1 tsp/10 gal i put 1/4 tsp in 5 gal) I know formalin makes oxygen saturation low, so I have a smally 50 gph powerhead that is slightly aspirating. Microbubbles are ugly, but I'm sure thats better than a airpump/stone combo for the fish.

Someone told me to add Myracin 2 to the water to make sure there are no bacterial issues... but we'll just see how she does, tomorrow will be her 3rd high concentration formalin baths. Hopefully she'll make it she's so very very pretty when in good shape.

7. s10lowrider1994

s10lowrider1994 Feather Duster

Hopefully your fish pulls through, if its lasted this long I would say the chances are good that it may recover if the condition has not gotten worse. Ours were overtaken in less than 48 hours by Brooklynella so we had no chance of fighting it off. There are a few things you can do to prevent bacterial issues but I would wait until you cure the Brooklynella, then treat to fight off secondary infection. Dont want to add to much at once. Good luck and keep us posted.