broken glass (no fish left in tank)

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by marks48, Feb 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. marks48

marks48 Plankton

Hi, I had some problems with my fish tank (the water has been very merky the past several months, no matter what I did I couldn’t get it to clear up. Water changes, filter cleanings, products that “clear water up”- nothing fixed it. Fed the fish the other day; (2 in the tank) and only 1 came to the top to eat. Found the other stuck to the filter L. Minutes later, I looked and the other fish was now on his side on the top. I knew he wouldn’t make it in the water, so I put him in another small tank, with new water and also some vitamins (I know it was not good to do that, but he had no chance in the other tank so worth a shot). Hours later he was swimming and looked much better- but when I woke up he was dead too LL
    So I went to clean the tank out, as I picked it up I miscalculated and somehow bumped the glass on the tub. So now I have a broken panel.
    Before when I did a water change, I didn’t have enough water so the tank was running low for a few days. Unfortunately within several days, I noticed mold / mildew on the glass (under the silicone- see pics below). So I was considering re siliconing it.
    I called my local pet store; they said siliconing the crack however would hold maybe a month if im lucky. Now I can see why maybe a 100 gallon tank would not hold very long, however this is just a 10 gallon tank (still a good 80 bucks or so). So, I know 95% of the people who read this will say since its broken and has mildue under the silicone, just replace it….. however that is not what I want to do. My current options are 1. Replacing the panel, 2. Repairing the panel.
    My dad sells windows and his company always replaces windows, so I can for sure get an old window and just cut the glass to the proper size, or even go to an art store and buy glass they use for stain glass windows (though I am not sure if that glass is made thinner then standard glass); but I am sure I can acquire a piece that works. My problem would be removing the top and bottom plastic frame without damaging other panels. For that reason, I was also considering just repairing the panel that’s broken.
    The crack was luckily on the corner of the tank, so the chances of it spidering out are lower (if it was in the center I am sure the entire thing would have spider cracked) I also filled it up with water (to the top) to see if it will spider any more, and it did but it just was a continuation of the original crack which I figured would happen anyways. But I let it set a few hours- no further spidering (just leaking).
    So, I was wondering if anyone had any advice? Repair or replace the glass? If replacing, any ideas how to get the frames off?
    Also if I re silicone the mildew area, should I just scrape the silicone off the area above the mildew? Or should I just remove it all? Any advice would be appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. sweetriden76

sweetriden76 Coral Banded Shrimp

I wouldnt trust it with fish unless the panel was replace, or just get a larger tank, I have a ten gallon hex too, I have one african cichlid in it, had a pleco but it died unexpectedly, dunno what setup your running, gravel looks like a FW tank, for FW id repair it, for salt Id get a nanocube, or even for FW I love my JBJ, the oceanic is also nice and has 2 more gallons

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I personaly would just get a new tank, but thats not one of your options. So, I would bring it to someone who knows how to replace/fix tanks. Dont bother trying to fix the broken glass, you might as well just throw 10gals of water on the floor and use the fish as sushi.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  5. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Time for a new tank. Believe it or not, the tank is one of the cheaper purchases in this hobby. Didn't you want a 55 gal tank anyway? ;D;D

6. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

No doubt, get a new tank...

7. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Might sound like a broken record player but...there might never be a better or more legitimate reason to go upgrade shopping. ;)

8. Click Here!

9. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto

Fixing not worth time and energy...even of writing your post.

Will always look like crap, even if you can fix it.

Don't trust a tank repair dude...get new.

Good Luck.

10. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

this is natures way of telling you to get a bigger tank

11. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

thats a pretty bad crack or break, get a different tank but since you have the option to replace the glass panes maby get it repaird and let it just hold water for a while to see if it leaks or not, make a 2nd tank or a back up hospital tank

12. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

I would never trust a repair on an aquarium that is just asking for trouble. I am sure that you could find a new tank for yourself if you ask around. Plenty of people have fish tanks sitting in thier garage or basement etc because they lost interest or moved and never re-set up thier system or just gave up the hobby. I would ask all your friends, family and neighbors. You never know what you may find. good luck 8)