Broken Center Brace!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by ultramafic, Sep 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ultramafic

ultramafic Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

My center brace on my 135g snapped sometime yesterday, i noticed today when i was feeding my fish. My plan as of now is to start draining the tank and putting all my corals/fish/rock into a couple smaller tanks i have while i figure out what to do with the tank. I don't want this exploding in my living room and i'd really like to keep all my corals/fish as well. i measured the sides and the middle of the tank, it seems to be bowing about half an inch out. Somebody, anybody, help!

[​IMG]
    Current FTS

[​IMG]
    the broken center brace

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

One method you can do is cut the brace so that there is a 1-2" piece left on either side. Then get some 1/4" acrylic strips and cut them to length. Then drill the remaining center brace through the acrylic strips. Screw/bolt the acrylic strip in place and you should be good to go. Make when you do this that there is no bow in the tank.

4. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

I think you might be over-reacting a bit.

The purpose of the center brace is to provide stability to the front and rear glass panes from the water pressure. Simple short term insurance.... go to Home Depot or Lowe's and get a long clamp. Not this unit, but something Like this. Put it on your tank and just clamp it firm but not TOO tight. enough to prevent further expansion... a little positive pressure.... enough to eliminate any bow in the tank.

Your tank should be fine with the clamp installed.

Once the clamp is installed, you ought be able to installed a patch to take the strain. The question I would ask is do you have rock leaning against the glass? or anything other than water pressure on the front a back panes???

I would not totally disrupt your tank is install the repair patch.

Mark

5. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

i would go with a new aquarium. they are not that expensive considering everything you have in there. if the center brace snapped, i would have a hard time trusting the tank. i would set up the new tank with new sand (seeded with some of your old sand). just my opinion.

6. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

It looks like there isn't enough left on the one end to do what GuitarMan is suggesting. If it was me I would Fabricate a couple of braves out of 1/4 or 3/8" plexi and place them on either side of the original one.

Using some some epoxy and Nylon screws and nuts drill through the lip on the tank and using a good amount of epoxy and bolt it to the lip. You can also use some epoxy on the end of that center brace to attach it to the edge. Believe me It will hold and last longer than the stupid puny little braces that come on the tanks originally.

If you have a hard time finding nylon screws and nuts I use the nylon screws that you can get at the hardware store for mounting toilet seats, they cost about $4 and work great.

7. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I agree with SAY. Either get a new tank or look to an LFS to replace the top frame. I did it to my 55 before I sold it. The brace was $15. For a 135 it might be a few bucks more, but I wouldn't risk it. That center brace serves a vital role in keeping your tank in one piece. Good luck.

8. Click Here!

9. APC

APC Gigas Clam

I would try to figure out why it broke before getting a new tank....is your stand level? Is the tank sittting on in properly, etc? Just to make sure you dont have the same problem again....once you figure that out...Id get a new tank...not worth the risk in my opinion.

10. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

I agree too,compaired to the equipment and stock you got in there.I would have a hard time trusting any type of patch as all the top plastic could be brittle from the heat of the lights.

11. ultramafic

ultramafic Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Thanks to everyone for the replies and suggestions. I went to the hardware store and bought a long clamp and put it over the old brace to hold it in place in the mean time. I was thinking that i could make a small [ shaped brace out of some steel and place that over the old brace, anchoring it to the old brace and the top frame to keep it secured. I'm thinking steel simply because the strenghth and the fact that i could weld it with tabs over the edge to keep the sides in. My plan is the front tab would be short enough to stay under my hood and out of sight, bad idea because of rust issues?

I've called around to the local fish stores asking about 5 foot tanks and nobody seems to have anything in stock. (My wall is 5 feet as well as my ATI lights.) Ordering a new tank is a problem because i live in Hawaii, LFS are saying i'd also have to find a company that makes the top frame and have that sent in. As of now the plan is to try and salvage the tank, but if it can't happen i'm already looking for alternatives.

12. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

not everyone can afford a few benjamins to get a new tank. I know I cant. what brand tank is it? I know several companies out there (Petsolutions.com) sell replacement top frames for most major brands of tanks. you can look it up on their website. or you can get your LFS to order you one depending on the Manufacturer. fwiw, on my 225 from Perfecto, the frame cost me $50 at the LFS. that included shipping and their markup.

it will take you some work to get the old one off, but it can be done without draining the tank 100%. just take your time. get a Long flat tip screwdriver and very gently pry it up under the front lip. you can do from the inside and the outside. you can also take the side of the brace that is attached and use it as leverage to break the silicone seal. once you have a place to start and can get under it, you can slowly work it off by taking that long screwdriver and a rubber mallet and gently hammer it off running the driver down the top edge of the glass. just tap a bit and pry, let the tool do the work. it took me all of 20 mins to get the one off my 225 when I was replacing the end panel and the frame that were broken. then take a flat razor and scrape all of the silicone off that you can.

once cleaned up, take your aquarium silicone of choice and run you a good thick bead all around the top edge. take the new frame (with a helper) and set it on the tank and press it down firmly. place some weight on top or even the hood if you have a full hood. wait 72 hours for it to fully cure and refill with water.

it can be done. just take your time and dont force it.

Edit: you replied while I was typing. use aluminum. steel with rust something terrible. but as I said, get the dims of the top and do some hunting.