broccoli for tang

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by divott, Apr 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

All I've ever done is rinse it. Even our goofy cleaner wrasse picks at it :D

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Yep. I just rinse mine. Everyone in my tank, with the exception of the mandarin, goes right for it. Clowns, tang, even the firefish, snails, and hermits.

I would give it a couple days first. Maybe even stick the nori on the clip with it.

4. divott

divott Giant Squid

thats a good idea pack. iwil try it. and thnx everyone else for the tips

5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I rinse mine and cut it up in a container and add to a veggie clip. Everyone one in the tank eats it, plus it's good for the tangs digestive system. This may sound funny but I can tell the difference in their poop when they have broccoli to eat. :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Swifty1189

Swifty1189 Bristle Worm

May just not recognize it as food yet, nori w/ the broccoli on a clip like pack said might entice it to take a bite to see if he likes it.

7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

It took about a week before my tangs started picking at it for food. Just give it a while.

8. Click Here!

9. divott

divott Giant Squid

thnx otty. im doin the combo meal right now. nori, and broccoli soaked in garlic. no luck yet. but they arent leafin the table til al ltheir veggies are gone. lol

10. dansreef

dansreef Astrea Snail

: : : : Indo-Pacific Sea Farms : : : :

Red Graciliara. Tangs graze on it like candy and it does not foul your water like dried Nori. It will take root in your sump and help with nutrient removal as well. Since it is a tangs natural food, it helps with diseases like HLLE where there is a lack of nutrition. I personally have seen 10+ tangs nursed back to health when fed "fresh" natural macroalgae.

1 person likes this.
  11. Cat4wisson

Cat4wisson Feather Duster

I checked out the indo-pacific sea farms web site, pretty cool. Anyone else have any experience with this company? They sell a variety pack for about $60 that has 6 types of microalgae and I was wondering how much space you would need in a fuge for this many different types of plants? Would a 20 gal fuge be enough? It would be nice to grow my own food for my tang.

12. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

You can get those macro algaes from reefcleaners.org as well.