Brittle Star losing legs

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by mirosh, Dec 27, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Mike,

I don't think the levels of Nitrate you are experiencing are the cause of the Brittle Star deterioration. Nor do I think it because your water change water had some trace Ammonia.

My concern would be the volume of water you were changing. Inverts are far more susceptible to sudden Salinity and PH swings than other tank inhabitants and with a 1/3 water change...........

John :)

2. Click Here!

3. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

I've actually just been doing 5-7 gallons every week and the pH and salinity are constant in the new water and the tank...no big changes. I don't know...I'll keep doing 5-7 gallon water changes with newly made water weekly and monitor to see what the problem is and how to fix it.

Thanks for the help John,
    Mike

4. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

I've never had any of my water cycle.....to my knowledge. I usually pump in pure argon gas to help preserve my water.... 8).....very true theoretically but I think if that were too happen in our store or at my house ild find out quickly with frantice calls from people or nasty happenings in my tanks.

Mirosh.....20-30 PPM isnt bad if is it consistant....but the fluctuations are the killers. If you can knock it down below 20 and keep it there you should be just fine. I would not go crazy trying to eliminate it compltley. Many times more damage is caused trying to alliviate a problem than the problem would on its own. The water changes should take care of it. Seeing as you only have a cleaning crew....you should be aok getting the nitrates down. Or do you have fish in there>?

5. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

I have the cleaning crew and two 3-stripes...they are hardy little guys!