Resolved Bristleworm: friend or foe?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by flynhawaiianz28, Oct 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. flynhawaiianz28

flynhawaiianz28 Purple Spiny Lobster

ok so I've seen what i believe to bristleworms in my nano tank. Some of them are small and others are bigger than I expected to see and the bodies of them have a portion of it a peach color and the other is a more grey/black color. I'll post a picture of the ones that I have in my tank and I have checked out the worm hitch hikers site by chuck as well as the worm pictures posted on 3reef. I was doing some research & i am pretty sure that these bristleworms are harmless and just scavengers but I'm still uneasy about having them in my tank w/ my inverts, corals, and fish. I know that I can probably get rid of them w/ the trap i've seen on foster & smith for like $10 or make my own or I heard that Arrow Crabs would do a good job at removing them or maybe i'm wrong? But if arrow crabs do a good job would it mess w/ any of my corals such as zoas or mushrooms? Also, are there any other fish or inverts that I can get to remove the bristleworms? Thanks guys:)

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. reef4girl

reef4girl Feather Duster

I was told the pink bristleworms are good. Some of the more knowledgable reefers will chime in :)

4. RemickJ

RemickJ Teardrop Maxima Clam

I would add a six line wrasse if you want to get rid of them. From what I understand they will take care of them for you. I had a couple of these early on in my Red Sea Max Tank but knock on wood have never seen one in my 120.

5. carpenter

carpenter Feather Duster

6. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

They are fine adn a great addition to a reef tank IMO

7. coloradoReef

coloradoReef 3reef Sponsor

I believe they are fine. Had them for years never a problem

But ef anything is dying they will be all over it thats why they get a bad rap IMO

8. Click Here!

9. AaaRr

AaaRr Spaghetti Worm

You should see some in my tank they could eat any one of my sexy shrimp with a couple bites but they do not! They will only eat dead things. IMO

10. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I've got a couple in my tank, I'm not concerned. Good scavengers. They can clean the crevices and clear excess food and debris from hard to reach places. Reef pipe cleaners :D

11. bama

bama Humpback Whale

good for your reef... bad for your fingers, so watch out...

12. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

I'm here supporting the beneficial scavenger group. Removing these is a bad idea IMO, they are good for your tank.