Bristle Worms?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Reefboi, Aug 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rmelvin23

rmelvin23 Skunk Shrimp

Bristle worms are very usefull. They airate the substrate, eat feces and overfeedings. They can be a problem if they are huge (I have seen them about 3 feet long). If they are small they are only helping your tank. I leave them alone. I do believe that the fish keep them at a small population.

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

If something like that happens again, you simply have to let the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate cycle run its course. You can't prevent mother nature from doing what she has to do. That being said, if it happens again, you have to change the way you do things. If you end up with another ammonia spike, it's because you either have too many fish or because you're messing with the tank too much and killing off the bacteria that is needed to consume the ammonia.

4. Nykademus

Nykademus Flamingo Tongue

If you have tons of those bristle worms you should cut down on how much you are feeding. Their population is self regulating, meaning that overfeeding will lead to overpopulation of bristles.

They are good for a tank though as they stir up the sand and will clean up what food the fish do not get.

Watch that overfeeding, and try to get out of the habit of adding something to the tank to correct a problem. Its an ecosystem that will balance itself in time (if managed properly) and all that are really needed are water changes.. unless you get crazy with SPS corals.

Good luck!!

5. Reefboi

Reefboi Astrea Snail

thank you soo much.. its all helping me learn, prevent and enjoyy!!!! :dd