brine shrimp for coral beauty

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by kss2801, Sep 11, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kss2801

kss2801 Montipora Capricornis

would a cb eat live brine shrimp? i want to try this because i'm not sure if mine is eating since it has been hiding since i got it. would the uneaten brine shrimp survive in the tank?

2. Click Here!

3. divott

divott Giant Squid

it would prob go after them. mne eats anything. flake,pellets, frozen mysis. i also feed it a frozen marine angel food. its full of sponge which is also an important part of their diet.

4. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Took my CB a week to come and and start feeding, even then she was very shy and didn't always get a lot. Now she is a pig, will eat anything that hits the water, and pushes other fish out of her way. Just give her some time. Doing a garlic soak helped mine come out of hiding, maybe give that a try.

1 person likes this.
  5. kss2801

i will try the garlic soak this evening. the reason i wanted to try the brine shrimp was to reduce polluting the tank, because she is the only fish in the tank. this would only work if the brine shrimp would stay alive. anyone know if they will?

6. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

They should be ok. But if they get sucked into filters, power heads, etc, then there toast. I'm no expert on live brine, maybe someone else knows more.

7. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

+1. Give her some time. She will soon settle in. I also soak all my food in garlic.

8. Click Here!

9. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

I think the live brine shrimp would be worth a try if you have that available. My LFS gets them in occasionally and I'll buy a little bag for a few dollars. I usually feed various frozen foods, which they take well, but when I put the live brine shrimp in there, everything in the tank goes NUTS! It sends them into a feeding frenzy! My coral beauty never liked flakes, but did well with the frozen foods.

10. kss2801

no live brine shrimp available, just the eggs. i have a set hatching, should have some in about 24 hrs.

11. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

Don't expect the coral beauty to go after the hatched brine shrimp. They are so small that most fish of any size don't bother with them.
    Even tank raised clownfish stop taking them as they get larger.

12. kss2801

well i already have some hatching so i will just try a little. maybe it will at least coax her out of the rocks.