Brightwell Aquatics Bio Fuel

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by steve wright, Nov 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. joksanmo

joksanmo Flamingo Tongue

Thank you for your time and efforts on this beneficial information Steve. I am tagging along since I recently started developing some algae.

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Thank you schackmel
    I was not dissapointed with the Bio Fuel to be honest, it seems to do exactly what the packaging indicates it will do, and I would agree that most visible affects are witnessed within the 1st couple of weeks of using
    a genuine slowing up of development of micro algae which I exactly why I had purchased it.

The other products I have got from the range are
    Restor - ammino based food supplement
    Koral color - which is a colour enhancing supplement that works very well with green corals IME thus far - other corals show an almost immediate intensification of color on introduction of this additive, it fades as the day goes on, but I believe in time, as the dosage levels can be safely increased the effects will be more long term.
    Vitamin C - which I am adding to food stuffs
    Zooplankton M - which I feed via pippette - there are other sizes of this product available 0 - 300 PU is the smallest one, and I may add that to my list

welcome joksanmo
    if its a new tank, and you have detectable phosphates and nitrates
    IMHO you would probably be better off looking at other ways of reducing those
    but if its an established, low nutrient tank, thats not as clean as you may like it to be, the Bio Fuel may be an option to consider

Steve

4. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

Do you know why the MB7 says use a syringe? I just squirt it in the tank....

5. steve wright

MB7 = MicroBacter 7?

because I have just scanned the instructions and it does not mention a syringe
    it does indicate dosages based on where you are with your tank nutrient levels
    high nutrient levels require 5ml added per 25 gallons
    low nutrient levels require 5mls per 50 gallons
    and when increasing stock etc so you naturally get more bacteria anyway it says to dose 1 drop per 25 gallons ( which is exactly the dosing I have been doing over last couple of weeks since introducing new livestock

5mls is 1 full cap full - so you do have to make a judgement call if your tank is not a multiple of 25 ( 25s, 50s, 75s and 100 gallon tanks would make dosing easy - 40, 60, 80s etc being a bit harder

I found the water collecting syringes from many test kits, which often house 5mls to be a great way of controlling amounts to be added

I dont believe there would be any direct harm caused by slightly exceeding the stated dosages , but it does state on the packaging that using more than is required, will not increase the benefits

its the old foxes to rabbits scenario
    you can only keep as many foxes as you have rabbits to feed them

you can only house as much bacteria , as you have nutrients to feed them

Steve

2 people like this.
  6. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

7. arentspowell

arentspowell Skunk Shrimp

anymore updates on the biofuel and the MB7 Steve? I have been using the liquid reef for dosing for calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium, and I really like the Brightwell products. Was thinking about going your route as well with the biofuel and MB7.

8. Click Here!

9. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

I have some biofuel coming it should be here tomorrow.

I think I will try turning off the skimmer atleast the first time I dose to see if it makes a difference since no one in this thread did. Also should I turn off my phosban reactor?

10. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

I don't turn any of my 3 reactors or my skimmer off.

11. steve wright

I used it for about 6 weeks arentspowell
    for 1st 2 weeks there where definite improvements
    but after that it seemed to just maintain a status quo
    and did not take my reef to my target in terms of aesthetics

It would be interesting sollie , as I did continue running skimmer
    so I would be keen to know if switching it off would have improved the performance for a longer period

I ran GFO and left skimmer on also

Steve

12. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

Ill let you guys know how it goes once it gets here

I plan on leaving the reactor running but unplugging the skimmer for a couple hours