Breeding tomato clowns

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by Rpratt, Dec 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Great! :) I was going to ask you about that. You can ask him whatever you want as well. He is really here to help us out.

2. Click Here!

3. Pickle010

Pickle010 Spaghetti Worm

So... If I'm understanding the question - you are asking what to keep in the grow out system?

Keep in mind it will be 3 stages to the your hatching:

The parent tank
    The hatching tank
    The grow out tank

Each tank should be separate due to conditions and water quality..

The parent tank I think you have down - it's not ideal but they are spawning. As long as they are spawning in a pot or removable tile you are good. Otherwise you are in for a fight as you will be waiting up all night with the lights and power heads off in order to scoop the fry out of the tank. Anything left in the tank when lights come on in the AM is tank food.

The hatching tank should be a simple 10g with a heater and airline. Nothing else. You'll either transfer the fry or the eggs to that tank on or close to hatch night, set an air stone on the eggs (or air flow if it's fry) and that is where you should keep the fry for up to 3 weeks. Anything larger and they will have a hard time finding food (rotifers) and the feeds for the rotifers would foul a larger system (rotigrow plus and roti green - available at reed mariculture) The fry will go through meta in this tank and make the progression through the various foods you will be feeding them.

At 19 - 21 days you will want to transfer the fry to a larger grow out system - mine is 250g and still too small. At about the 19th day ammonia becomes a battle and the simple water changes and chemicals such as prime aren't as effective in keeping the tank conditions optimal.

In my grow out I have 300lbs of LR a section with cheato and an over sized skimmer. With all that I still battle cyano constantly.

There is a lot to learn and an it's a trial and error process.

It can be done on a smaller scale. I did but it was a struggle with the constant water testing and water changes. Buy some ammonia badges - they will be your friend.

One thread I didn't see mentioned above is the one I have sticky'd on N-R and it's a short guide to what I do. I will be updating it soon with feeding schedules of some very successful breeders.

Here is the link: Pickle’s Guide to Breeding Clowns - Nano-Reef.com Forums

If you read through all that and still have questions go ahead and PM me here - but I'll get it faster if you post to the breeders thread on N-R - I'm just a little more active there as it is my home base.

Good Luck

4. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Forgot about that thread Pickles. That should answer most questions for him along with what you posted above.

5. Rpratt

Rpratt Astrea Snail

Thanks. I'll check it out and get back to you with any questions.

6. Rpratt

Rpratt Astrea Snail

Awesome information pickles. Im going to start a diary of my progress to keep everyone up to date and can get input from everyone else.

7. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Here is a cool document that should help.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. Rpratt

Rpratt Astrea Snail

Nice ill use that for sure.

1 person likes this.
  10. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I have it in a Word document as well. Much easier to read lol. If you want you can PM me your email address and I will send it to you.

11. Rpratt

Rpratt Astrea Snail

My e-mail is on the first page