Breeding Snowflake and Snowcasso Clownfish (New pics!!!)

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by sticksmith23, Sep 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pickle010

Pickle010 Spaghetti Worm

I seriously doubt you have air bladder concerns. Clown fish are also known for just being silly and doing strange things. Time is most likely all they need.

Now if they they can't get to food or float belly up in the middle of the day - there may be some concerns. I would bet they are either just afraid of the new environment or that they are getting picked on by the damsels.

2. Click Here!

3. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Sorry, I missed this. Yes, most likely they are just weird. There is a possibility that there is a disease, however, more likely there isn't. What you want to watch for is to make sure they are eating well, over time, gaining weight and not breathing heavily or loosing control of their swimming ability. If all this checks out, they are probably just typical bozo clownfish.

4. SmittysWife

SmittysWife Astrea Snail

I didn't know how to quote multiple so I am just going to type this. I think pickle you are right that they are being bullied by the damsels. I am trying to get them out of the tank and into another one but seems they are difficult to catch. So still working on that. So on top of being affraid of the damsels and maybe the new enviroment they possibly are just being bozo clownfish. I know they are eatting cause I watched them eat to make sure last night. The damsels are being very guarded of the lower part of tank. So i believe this is really my problem. Thank you everyone for helping me and I will keep you all updated!

5. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

Wow that is such a beautiful clown, how muh do those normally run?

6. Pickle010

Pickle010 Spaghetti Worm

I paid almost $250 for a pair of those shipped from Florida and the price of mine depend on the markings. I should also mention that I do not sell to the public. My fish are sold to some select stores and a wholesaler in CA that pays me top dollar for my juvi's. I do sell some to locals but that's it. I do not deal with shipping or advertising my clowns.

7. Pickle010

Pickle010 Spaghetti Worm

That's the problem with damsels - they are little demons and can be really hard to catch with a net unless you pull your rock and are ready to chase them with a net for a while.

You can make a fish trap out of gatorade bottle - they are simple to make and are effective. Just cut the top off the bottle where it meets the main body of the bottle so you have a funnel then invert it and place it in the bottle so that the mouth of the bottle is pointed towards the inside bottom.

If you have a small hole punch you can make holes in the plastic and use zip ties to secure the two halves together. Then don't feed for a couple of days and drop some food in the trap and set in the tank.

The fish will swim in to get the food and get stuck - all you have to do is pull the bottle remove the fish and then reset it for the next one.

It can take a few tries to get the right fish and a lot of patience but it's easier then taking apart the tank.

Here is what one in action looks like:

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

That is a stunning clown Pickle, the markings on the fins and the body shape are very unique. He has a short compact body.

10. Pickle010

Pickle010 Spaghetti Worm

LOL.. I think he is just wider from all the extra feedings he gets.

11. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I didnt realize 3reef had a mobile part of the site lol. I am cofident that the problems my wife is talking about are solely to do with the damsels. We have extra tanks that she can set up to put the damsels in until we can figure out what to do with them. Before I left for the field, the clowns were swimming all over the tank and I am sure there are no deseases or swim bladder issues to be worried about. She is feeding a carnovours blend of frozen food every other night, so i know they are eating healthy. I appreciate everyone helping my wife out in my absence.

P.S. All my params were good to go before I left. The only thing high was my phosphates at 2 ppm which I have been fighting with for a few months now.
    Mozilla/4.0 (BREW 3.1.5; U; en-us; Sanyo; NetFront/3.5.1/AMB) Boost SCP6760

12. SmittysWife

SmittysWife Astrea Snail

i am going to o this pickle ty