Breeding Snowflake and Snowcasso Clownfish (New pics!!!)

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by sticksmith23, Sep 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SmittysWife

SmittysWife Astrea Snail

Ok I was looking for a place to put a question up about the fish we got. I am still new to this site so I am just going to post it here. Hubby is gone for a month and we just put the fish in yesterday. But I noticed that they are staying at the top of the tank 90% of the time. Is this normal? I know probably a newbie question but still just unsure so I figured I would ask. They are moving and active just always at the top of the tank. Thanks for any advice. Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Sometimes clowns are just wierd, but sometimes, there are parasites. Gill flukes for example. Are you qt'ing them? What procedure are you following?

4. SmittysWife

SmittysWife Astrea Snail

OK I am very new to this whole saltwater tank stuff. This is hubbys tank. I have no idea what you are talking about. He just told me if when he was in feild ( army ) if i cant reach him then I can post on here for advice. So all of what you said is french to me. Sorry!

5. SmittysWife

SmittysWife Astrea Snail

Ok sitting here watching the tank I am seeing that the damsils my husband has are chasing then away from the rock area! Is this normal fo the community to do to establish territory. They do come down but are soon chased off. I just fed them and they are eatting!

6. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Clowns without anems tend to stay at the surface IME. Also, your clowns look a bit brown, perhaps its the picture, but I would go to your fish store and buy some complete foods such as Rod's Food or something Betakeratene enriched like Reef Nutrition Arcti-Pods. This should help them achieve the best color.

7. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

I would get rid of the damsels or move some rock around so the clowns can establish territories. Does your tank have any LPS corals such as hammer corals, frogsoawn corals etc.?

8. Click Here!

9. SmittysWife

SmittysWife Astrea Snail

I do not have any idea what its the tank is called. I think that the color is the picture I darkened them up. To get rid of some glare! All of what you are saying to feed is what I was told to feed by hubby before leaving. I do not have anems though. Maybe I need one? I will get rid of the damsils though.

10. Pickle010

Pickle010 Spaghetti Worm

I wouldn't get a nem - quality feed is all you need.

If you raise the pair with a nem once they start to spawn they will spawn near the nem - seems cool until the nem walks across the eggs and the pair eats them out of fear that they've been damaged. Ultimately the only thing you will want in the tank with the pair is a clay pot. So if you get them used to other stuff now they will back slide once they start spawning and you start taking things away.

As to the color - they are just fine. If they are black ice they will darken up even more. My Black Ice male was bright orange when I got him and gradually got darker and darker.

[​IMG]

11. Pickle010

Pickle010 Spaghetti Worm

Oh and I've since pulled the nems from their tank - that's how I can suggest not doing it.

In fact I recently acquired a juvi pair of platinums and they started hosting their pot almost immediately - If anything give them a pot after you pull the damsels. Place it in the part of the tank they hang out the most. They'll love it.

12. SmittysWife

SmittysWife Astrea Snail

Alright pickle. I am working on pulling the damsels. I am setting up another tank to put them in to take them out. I was told something about a air bladder might be a concern. I am just at a loss. When hubby gets home I am going to have a chat with him for not giving me a detailed what to do when he left like I asked for..lol
    Thanks everyone though!