Breeding Snowflake and Snowcasso Clownfish (New pics!!!)

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by sticksmith23, Sep 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

They were $50 a piece from Petco. The manager gave us 10% off because we bought the pair. He told us how he ran his saltwater department and I was actually quite happy with the answers he gave considering it is just a chain store. He even told us that he could order us just about whatever we wanted and he would call us when they came in so that we could pick them up before they get introduced into his system. All-in-all a very good experience! ;D

2. Click Here!

3. SmittysWife

SmittysWife Astrea Snail

Here are some pics of our new babies!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Pickle010

Pickle010 Spaghetti Worm

Nice pair - Petco typically does get fish from quality suppliers they just don't do a good job at the store level of caring for them well. But if you get to them soon enough you can get some good fish.

The only downside is that you don't know the lineage of the pair and a lot of buyers like to get as close to F1 as they can. Your pair is most likely F2 meaning they are from the same brood stock and their offspring will be at least F3 - to most this isn't a big concern as most buyers aren't interested in breeding them and most breeders say that you can breed down to F9 without any issue. I personally won't do it and don't see any need to ever breed down to that level considering that you can get many years of spawns from a single healthy pair.

If you do get to a point where you want to start producing F1's you can do it simply by switching out one of the mates from a known second source.

5. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I didn't even think about the lineage when we bought them. That is really good point. So, the best way to get a known F1 would be from an actual breeder then?

6. SmittysWife

SmittysWife Astrea Snail

7. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

Wow man you got some great looking snows I always did love the black coloring with the white stripes Im jealous :p...Hey pickles would you ever be interested in selling a clown or two?

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Thank you for the complement! They are doing great so far. They ate just fine as well and still swimming all over the place. I was worried that they would stay in one of the back corners for awhile before exploring. This has been one of the main complaints of people who have bought clowns lol. They had been together for about 5 five weeks before we bought them today.

10. Pickle010

Pickle010 Spaghetti Worm

It's no problem - I think more people should be doing it and sharing the knowledge so that we can work together towards more difficult or previously thought impossible species.

Not unless you want to come by my house and pick up a pair. 98% of my clowns are pre-sold and the few that aren't have been going to locals. I just don't deal with the hassles of shipping.

11. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

Aight well next time my girl begs me to take her on a Cali trip I might have to take you up on that haha ;D

12. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Here are some good examples of easy broodstock setups for you, they may look huge but you can simplify them down to basic components.
    Breeding System
    For one or 2 pairs you would basically want

• a 20~ gallon tank for broodstock hooked up to a sump or at least a HOB skimmer.
      Then 2 10-20 gallon tanks for growout
      A hatchling area with 2 10 gallon tanks
      Buckets for Rotifer culture
    Or you could propably try a BRT system, or black round tub.