Breeding Snowflake and Snowcasso Clownfish (New pics!!!)

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by sticksmith23, Sep 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pickle010

Pickle010 Spaghetti Worm

There is some truth to this statement - My pair throws anywhere from 40 - 70% snows per hatch. In a hatch I will get mocha ocellaris (which are difficult to sell) Semi Snows and small percentage of Premium Snows. But if you do it right - don't go into debt setting it up and take your time the one pair can be profitable. If you where breeding regular ocellaris that would be very difficult to make any money on a small scale as they wholesale for $4 each. just don't expect that one pair of snows to make your car payments regularly.

On a smaller scale the problem you will run into is shipping cost - unless you have a fedex business account your shipping costs will run $90+ for a pair and that will take you out of being able to be competitive in your pricing. Many online sellers will sell semi's for around $75 each + $50 for shipping if you want to be competitive you will eat half your selling price in shipping after stryo box / heat pack / cold pack and bags.

I only sell direct to my local clubs and the rest of my fish go to a wholesaler. Luckily my pair produces a unique quality that is more desirable and I get a better price per fish from my wholesaler. I've seen snows wholesale very cheap due to poor coloration or markings. So it's important that the snow you choose for your brood stock have dominant characteristics to give you the best chance of nice offspring. It's also important to spend the money on quality grow out feeds.

It does take a while for a female to be ready to spawn (2+ years and 2.5 inches in size) however your female doesn't need to be a snow. You can get a mature reg ocellaris and pair her with a strong snow and you will get snow flake off spring. Keep in mind the male only needs to be 6 months to a year to fertilize eggs and finding a mature female ocellaris is easy and not expensive. Even a proven pair of breeding ocellaris are relatively cheap.

Good luck! Feel free to keep the PM coming if you have more questions!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Thank you for the valuable information. It is really appreciated. I will have to talk with my LFS in the area and try to find out who the wholesalers are for this area and start working those connections. This project is still in the works of course, just trying to feel it out right now is all. It is something that we are really interested in though, and my wife is a stay at home mom so she does have some time to dedicate to the project more so than I do.

4. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

That's an awful long time to wait. Haha.

5. Reef Queen

Reef Queen Feather Duster

Awesome! Im glad your other half is getting into the hobby...mine has lost interest unfortunately! And put me on the list too, i would love a pair! Good Luck and keep us updated!!!

6. SmittysWife

SmittysWife Astrea Snail

1 person likes this.
  7. Reef Queen

Reef Queen Feather Duster

8. Click Here!

9. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

I too am wondering this. I have my domino paired up with a black misbar. The misbar is the female about 2.5". Is it possible to help favor the type of brood which is created based on things like who the female is? Or size? Or extreme color markings?

10. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

HA I LOVE black ice's def put me down for one if they ever turn out!

11. SmittysWife

SmittysWife Astrea Snail

12. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

I'd start with Bangaiis maybe, get your eye in while your pair is growing up?