breeding maroon clowns

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by J.A.C, Oct 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. J.A.C

J.A.C Astrea Snail

ok i jst put a small juvi. in the mix

2. Click Here!

3. Rustynuts

Rustynuts Flamingo Tongue

Did you add another juvenile to the existing pair? If so, then I'd take out the other that you added just before. If you have 3 fish then they'll squabble until it's sorted, then they'll settle and go their way. If you only have 2 fish, and you're certain that one is juvenile, then they'll make a pair eventually without as much squabbling.

4. J.A.C

J.A.C Astrea Snail

yea im sure my origional is a female shes showing dominence over both of the others

5. J.A.C

J.A.C Astrea Snail

last night i noticed to female rushing in at the others trying to establish her dominence im guessing the other two i picked up are juvies but it only occurs at night is this normal

6. Rustynuts

It'll go on whenever she feels like it. The fact that she's trying to be dominant over both of them means nothing, really. Clownfish always bicker about dominance, and if the two larger are both female it'll continue just the same as if one was a juvenile, with the exception that it'll probably end in death for one of them. I'd take the larger of the two out and leave the female with the proper juvenile just so you're certain what's going to happen.

7. J.A.C

J.A.C Astrea Snail

thats what im going to do, btw what should i be feeding them i have them on a diet of brine, krill, vitamin,a,d,and e and ocasional b12 suppliment

8. Click Here!

9. Rustynuts

Ours get flake food every day, and once a week or so they get a small amount of frozen krill or mysis, something like that.

10. J.A.C

J.A.C Astrea Snail

ok good news i think shes going for the one i kept the juvi is rolling to his side then shaking then she shakes back. she keeps rushing him and he submits, how long will it take the juvi to turn into a male he seems about 6 months old by his size.

11. Rustynuts

She'll go for all of them. The battle will be between the other two to see who's the boss, and they'll take a while to sort that out (unless the larger is already a female). Then when they've sorted that, and the female has her male partner, it can take up to a couple of years for them to bond and start mating. They mate for life, and they don't just start when they're put together.

You have a long way to go yet with these.