Brand Spankin' New Anemone!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by FindingBlemo, Oct 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. FindingBlemo

FindingBlemo Astrea Snail

Yeah, the tank is going to be a year old in December.

2. Click Here!

3. FindingBlemo

I see water in water bottles that in fine print say "Purified by Reverse Osmosis" but on the front, it says "Enhanced with Minerals for a Fresh Taste" are these added minerals bad? My mom says she say some of this exact stuff in jugs, is it okay for my aquarium?

4. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

FindingBlemo, The reason why they are iffy about you keeping the anemone is because not only is the tank way too small but your lighting is very insufficient. The stock lights (Light bulbs that come with the tank) are usually not enough to keep even hardy corals healthy. Seeing as your tank is a almost a year old and you still have the stock lights, you will probably be getting some algae/cyano soon as they tend to grow when bulbs get too old.
    Anemone need intense lights because of the symbiotic relationship between it as the host body and the algae that inhabits it. The algae feed off of the light through photosynthesis and in turn feeds the anemone. While it is eating solid foods at the moment, it will still eventually starve because the algae wont be able to survive without sufficient light to feed from.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  5. FindingBlemo

Hi swagger87, I was the one who made your avatar. :)

How many WPG would be sufficient?

1 person likes this.
  6. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

Well Howdy there! I remember! I was wondering what happened to you!
    Im not sure as to the specific wattage they require, I can leave that to a more experienced reefer. But I can look up some info for you.

7. FindingBlemo

Hahaha, thanks!
    I was looking at the Nanowave 9 from Aqua Medics, it seems like a much better set-up and I really regret picking the Biocube 8, I feel like such a criminal buying this anemone! :(
    I'm looking into taking the hood off and just getting an HQI stand set-up thingamabobber.

8. Click Here!

9. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

Don't feel bad, we all make mistakes and we all jump the gun once in a while.
    Just make sure that you keep us updated on it and if it does anything funny or odd let us know so we can tell you if it's ok or not.

10. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

Here's a bit of info from Wikipedia
    Bubble Tip Anemones usually thrive in temperatures between 76 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit (24 to 26 degrees Celsius). The specific gravity should be about 1.024, and the pH should be 8.3 to 8.4. It is important that the specific gravity remain constant. Bright lighting should be provided. Normally, very high output fluorescent light, or metal halide light, should work nicely. Hourly water turnover at about ten times the size of the tank should be provided; for example, a 40 gallon tank should turn over 400 gallons of water each hour. Current should not be directed at the anemone; rather, try an indirect current. As with all anemones, be sure that all current devices are blocked off so that your Bubble Tip Anemone cannot get sucked inside. A rock with many crevices, or an area of rocks, should be provided so your Bubble Tip Anemone may anchor itself. When keeping a Bubble Tip Anemone in an aquarium with many different species of corals, it is often best to place the anemone in before the corals. This allows the anemone to select a spot it likes and helps prevent it moving across your corals later. As long as your lighting is good, you should not need to feed your anemone. This is because it can subsist very well on photosynthesis. It is true that anemones can catch and eat fish but feeding them can cause problems and is not necessary. When purchasing a Bubble Tip Anemone, choose a specimen that is anchored to some object in the tank. Do not purchase pale or bleached specimens; likewise, any specimens that appear unnaturally brightly colored probably are not healthy. Never purchase an anemone with a distended mouth, as this is a sign of poor health.

If your anemone begins to move about the aquarium, this is a sign that something is not right. Often it will be more likely to start moving just before your normal water changes since this is when water quality is poorest. If you pay attention to the behavior of these anemones, you will learn a lot about the conditions of your aquarium.

Bubble-tip anemone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

11. FindingBlemo

I've got everything right, except it doesn't say exactly HOW much lighting. Thanks so much though!

12. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

You're welcome. Sorry I couldn't be much help.