Brand new to the hobby and need advice - 75 gal

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by jmann124, Apr 22, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

I looked into the different lights. I'm seriously thinking that I'm going with MH right now and when I start adding corals(probably around a year), I'll put together an LED set up. I know long term, moneywise I should just do the end result to start with, but I can swing a LED setup that is sufficient right now. I have a son turning 16 in a few months(gotta buy him a car). So, that said. I know that I have to get MH bulb wattage that matches the ballast wattage. Is there anything I need to pay close attention to? Like, getting everything from the same Mfr. I'm probably going with 2 white bulbs and 2 blues.

Now for a, small, update. I went into the local PetSmart today, just to look around a little. They had a sale on sand. So, I got 30lbs of CaribSea Aragonite sand. It's the Aragmax Select .5-1mm size. It was onsale for $1.20/lb. I know I'll need more than that but there was only 3 bags left and one had a hole in the bag so I got 2 15lb bags. I have not added it to the setup yet, just in case you guys say that it is not a good product. In which case, I will take it back.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

RIO pumps and Quietone pumps. I know that you guys will probably say eheim or mag-drive, but I just wanted thoughts on the RIO 20hf and Quietone 6000. I'm leaning toward the mag-drives, but I am still looking at the other 2 also.

4. nept2n

nept2n Coral Banded Shrimp

I didn't use aragonite. I used live sand Ocean Direct but that was just my preference. As for the pump I personally like the mag pump, others will say differently but to answer your question between Rio and Quietone. I would choose the Quietone.

1 person likes this.
  5. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

Well, that did it. I read tons of reviews, but with a fellow reefer's experienced, backing support, I ordered a Quiet One 6000. It should be here sometime next week. With that order, I can bring everything into the living room and start hooking up the plumbing. I feel a lot of excitement again now that I've gotten one giant step closer to the payoff.

6. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Good luck with your setup I did my first SW setup about 2 months ago after doing freshwater for years. Looks like you have a lot of questions like I did and by no means am I even close to being an expert, I have learned a lot from my research and little experience.
    First off, read all the sticky threadson here lots of usful information.
    Next, take your budget and quadruple it without even including fish or corals! Lot more expensive then I ever imagined.
    Finally, realize not everything is essential to buy at once. You have the tank, get a heater and a nice HOB filter, some powerheads, the dry rock, and the sand and you are set to go. Lights and protein skimmers usually are not run during the cycle which can take a month or more. I am not sure about a fuge or sump since I do not have one but you do not need it from the getgo to get everything up and running. Also do not forget about salt, test kits, buckets, etc.

As far as actual equipment, for the heater there are countless options many people seem to like the titanium ones. I have a Fluval E-series and love it. HOB filter most people suggest an aquaclear since it can be converted into a HOB fuge down the road and they are good filters, I have a Fluval C-series which is kind of like the new design AC. Powerheads that seem to get good reviews are koralias, tunzes, and of course the hundreds of dollars a piece mp10 and mp40. I have the Koralia Evos. As far as lighting and skimmers I am currently in the process of researching to make my first buy there. I am not sure why you would buy a metal halide light only to upgrade to an LED since both are very capable of high light requirment reef corals and clams. Even a T5HO light can sustain a reef as long as your tank is not too deep.
    Lastly the rock and sand. I ordered the Pukani dry rock from BRS and love it, Was able to make a ncie scape and it had enough dead organics on it to cycle the tank without adding anything. I did add about 1lb of liverock that came with pods, sponge, algaes, tubeworms, and bristleworms. Sounds like you picked a sand which is good anything will do but if it is too big it will become a nitrate factory too small it blows everywhere. Most of the time it develops a biofilm on it that will weigh it down after awhile. Goodluck finding someone to sugest a salt you will ask 10 people and get 10 answers.

Also I noticed you asked when to add a CUC, ask John from reefcleaners. After the cycle is complete and you have a decent amount of diatom algae in the tank. If you order from him be prepared to recieve 10X what you ordered!! I know its a long response but hopefully it helped feel free to ask any questions. I did start a build thread which is in my signature to track my progress for my own satisfaction but also to try and help answer questions others may have

1 person likes this.
  7. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

Well, I ordered the Quiet One from bigalsonline.com, through amazon. I got an email from them that they are out of stock and do not have an ETA for anymore. After a semi-long phone call, I managed to get them to replace it with the Mag-Drive 12. I think I may have gotten the better end of the deal. Anyway, I should have it by the end of next week.

8. Click Here!

9. nept2n

nept2n Coral Banded Shrimp

Jmann make sure you have a ball valve installed. You will need to restrict the return. If I remember correctly you said you have overflow of 800? Go to this link Head Loss. It's at another site but you will be able to calculate the return flow rate with that pump. If I remember correctly you said you had a head pressure of 5' and dual return. I ran thos numbers and got a return flow of Over 800. Go to the link it will help.

10. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

Picked up 15 more lbs of sand today, once again all the PetSmart had. Also got 13lbs of dry reef rock at the LFS. I attached a picture. I think it's some pretty nice rock.

Attached Files:

11. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

Wish I could help you, but I have no experience with that setup. Open up a thread in the skimmer section and you'll get the answer you need.

12. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

OK. So, I cancelled the order for the mag-drive 12. It was not the supreme version, it was the pondmaster version. Also, a fellow reefer gave me a link to the same quiet one pump I had ordered, on eBay, new, for $80. Here's where it all went south. Since I had to wait for BigAls to credit me back the money for the cancelled order, I ran out of time to buy the quiet one on eBay. I chose to wait for the reimbursement to save a possible dispute with my wife. She didn't complain. I was just trying to preemptively keep the peace. Now I can't find the quiet one 6000 anywhere for around the same $80 it was on eBay. I sent the seller a message since it didn't sell, but have gotten no response. There's a little update since I've been silent this week.