Brand new to the hobby and need advice - 75 gal

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by jmann124, Apr 22, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

One of the LFS sell LR from one of their customer's tanks. It is also $1.99/lb. I know there is a good chance of picking up some unwanted hitchhikers with that. Is there a way, though, to "kill" the rock so that it is not "live" anymore? That way I'm getting some good, porous rock for a great price.

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Yeah, just leave it out in the sun for a few days!

1 person likes this.
  4. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

Another question at this step in the build: When do you add a CUC? I'm assuming after you cycle, but do not know for sure. Also, what is a good CUC? Like, what critters and how many of each species?

5. nept2n

nept2n Coral Banded Shrimp

Jmann welcome to 3reef. I would definitely recommend dry rock as well. If you do get the live rock, you could soak it in freshwater (RO/DI not tap water) overnight. That will get any unwanted critters out of the rock fast and then like Cosmo said leave out in the sun for a few day till the rock drys out.

1 person likes this.
  6. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

reefcleaners.org has quick crews that would give you a good idea about CuC critters and such.

1 person likes this.
  7. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

I hear a lot of talk about pods. Should I hook myself up with some pods? If so, what pods are good, and what should I stay away from?

8. Click Here!

9. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

I've read several things, looked at some DIY threads. I'm looking for opinions on what ppl think the best lighting is for a tank like I'm building, 75g FOWLR. I'd like to go LED, but really I'm going to go the least expensive and easiest route to get through 'til I start to add corals. Any and all suggestions(LED, MH, T5, colors, etc.) are greatly appreciated.

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

There are a lot of good things that come on/ live rock too. Using all dry rock will only prolong your cycle. I would definitely use a majority of dry rock for financial reasons, but live rock will be full of bacteria, pods and a wealth of other beneficial organisms that you won't get from dry rock. I would definitely purchase some live rock to seed the dry base rock.

1 person likes this.
  11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Light isn't necessary right away. A lot of people keep their lights off during the cycle. I suggest doing research and deciding what type of tank you want before making purchase. No sense in making quick and cheap purchase just to make one. Lighting is arguably the most important aspect of a reef tank. You have plenty of time to make an informed and quality purchase.

1 person likes this.
  12. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

Yeah, I plan on getting a little bit of LR. I'm going to try to find someone that I trust to get the LR from. My LFS has some in a bucket from one of their customer's tanks. I don't know who the guy is, so I don't trust that I won't pick up some unwanted stuff.

I know that I can wait to make this purchase. I just wanted to get advice and opinions to add to my reading info. So that I can make the most educated decision. Also, while the tank is cycling, I can take that time to build my lighting set up and hood.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012