Brand new to the hobby and need advice - 75 gal

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by jmann124, Apr 22, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

Well, according to the manager at The Coral Reef in Knoxville, TN, they were not able to get me a Foxface Lo this week. So, if anything, I will be coming home with a Coral Banded Shrimp.

2. Click Here!

3. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

Checkout the magnificent fox face before ya order!

4. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

I like the Magnificent Foxface, but not as much as the Foxface Lo. My wife also really likes the Lo as well.

5. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

Yes there's something about the stripes that I love.

6. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

So, I went to The Aquatic Critter in Nashville yesterday. I was just going to look at the coral selection and a Foxface. Well, the Foxface wouldn't eat, which is a good thing. Because I would've come home with 2 fish. I fell in love with a six line wrasse. He's in the tank and swimming in and out of the rocks and eating excellently.

7. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

The six line is doing great. He's bullying my yellow watchman goby occasionally but other than that he's fine.

On a different note. I got a 6 bulb t5 fixture for my anniversary and I got new ATI bulbs(4 blue+, 1 coral+, & 1 KZ Fiji purple), a JBJ wavemaker w/2 Powerheads, and a calcium reactor for Xmas. Excited to get it all set up and running so I can start buying corals.

8. Click Here!

9. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm

What kind of corals are you planning on? Depending on which type you might not need the calcium reactor. If you are using a coral blended salt mix the Ca and Mg levels should be fine with regular water changes.

10. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

I'm not using a reef mix salt but I'm considering it. I know I can dose cal and mag if I don't make the switch.

As far as corals go, I want some gsp, toadstool leather, and zoanthids to start. Will look into sps and lps later.

11. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

I added 2 500gph Powerheads to the DT tonight. They are running on 30 second intervals on the new wavemaker. I positioned them on the side glass, pointing straight across at each other with one aimed just under the other.

I moved the 2 750gph MJ Powerheads to the back glass. I positioned them each about a quarter way in from the side and aimed them up and in toward the middle of the front glass blowing through my rocks. They are constantly on.

I assume I'll have to play with it a little to get the 4 of them dialed in right. I'm considering putting them all on the wavemaker so that the left back PH is on with the right side PH and vice versa.

If anyone has any suggestions or experience with wavemakers, please chime in.

12. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Sounds good, although as you suspected, I think it would be better to have both the fronts on at the same time, and the rears at the same time since they are pointed at each other. This will help "randomize" the flow. Just keep adjusting them until you are happy :)