Brand new to the hobby and need advice - 75 gal

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by jmann124, Apr 22, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

See this update below.

2. Click Here!

3. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm

Glad to hear that you are sticking with it. Just thought with no updates that you had given up. I know finding leaks can be a pain sometimes but I am sure you will find the source. Good luck and keep us updated.

4. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

I've just about reached the end of my rope. I've replaced gaskets and resiliconed the bulkheads. In the process of doing that I can't seem to get a gasket to stay on the return bulkheads. As they get tighter they push out and over the bulkhead, falling into the tank. I've tried different thicknesses of gasket as well. I'm strongly considering just buying a new tank or just putting the bulkheads on with no gasket, just lots of silicone. Any suggestions?

5. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

Ok, so I finally finished siliconing the gaskets and plumbing. I also ran another bead of silicone up the seams above where the water is when the leak seems to start. After nearly 2 hours of running everything, no water can be found. Fingers crossed, but it seems to be fixed so far. I do, however, have lots of microbubbles in the sump from the drains. will that be ok? There aren't any in the DT though.

6. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

Well, after nearly 7 months of researching, preparing, building, rebuilding, leak plugging, and quarantining, I finally added my 2 O Clowns to the 75g DT last night. They looked very happy swimming around, exploring their larger home. I'll try to post some pics tonight. Thanx for any and all help that I got from many of you.

7. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

Hey jmann congrats on getting some life in the tank! I started my 75 a year ago and remember how exciting it was to have everything come together after so much planning. Great job so far!

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

Here is a link to a video of the tank.

10. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

Well, I got with John from Reef Cleaners, gave him my tank info, and placed a CUC order based on his rec's. I got several assorted hermits, and 3 or 4 different snail species and sizes. I took a few of the snails and 1 hermit and threw them in the sump/fuge and the rest in the DT.

I got 500 Pods from Reefs2go during the B1G1 sale last week, I put them in the fuge and some in the DT.

I'm going out of town this weekend to Knoxville, TN for a little family visit and college football. GO VOLS! Anyway, someone told me about a great LFS in Knoxville, called The Coral Reef. It is owned by Sustainable Aquatics, which happens to be the breeders that my 2 O Clowns came from. So, I'll be checking them out and, if they still have some, coming home with a Yellow Watchman Goby, and possibly a Tiger Snapping Shrimp.

So, there's a little update.

11. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

Went it The Coral Reef. Bought a YWG and Tiger Pistol Shrimp. They put them in a tank together and I will pick them up tomorrow on my way home. Here's a picture of the YWG. He is about 2 inches.

[​IMG]

12. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm

Congrats on the new additions! It's nice to see a little life in the tank after having it empty for so long isn't it.