Brand new to the hobby and need advice - 75 gal

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by jmann124, Apr 22, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm

Once your cycle is done do a 50% water change then add cuc.

2. Click Here!

3. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

The rock come out of SW tanks from a LFS. You can't tell from the pics, but it has a lot of holes and "nooks and crannies". I think it will be fine. If not, I'll cure some different rock and throw it in.

4. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

Update: Got 2 O Clowns in QT right now. They are doing great, eating well, very active, and look very healthy.

I'm having a heck of a time rinsing my sand though. I just can't seem to get it rinsed all the way. The rinse water keeps clouding up everytime I empty it and add more and stir again.

5. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

Here is what I would do......

Now what to expect when you dump all the SD in?? As mentioned it will cloud up a lot, and I mean a lot. It will settled in a week though so don't have your powerheads on, just the heater and no pumps. Once it settles down and you get the rest of your rock in then turn on the powerheads and pumps and make sure all the flows and circulation is like you want it.

6. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

I actually already have the rock in the DT. I'm rinsing sand tonight and just trying to get the majority of the milkiness out.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  7. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

Rinsed the sand last night, AND, put it in the DT and fuge. It did not take nearly as much as I thought it would. Have a good 1-2 inches in the DT and 2-4 inches in the fuge. If I get out of church and home in time tonight, I will be getting all of it wet. I'm going to let the dust settle before I mix in the salt.

8. Click Here!

9. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

Well, I got most of the water in. It's a little cloudy, but I'm sure it will settle. I will start up 2 5g buckets of saltwater tonight. Should I add the SW after the cloudiness settle or whenever the SW is through mixing?

10. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

So, I got the water in the DT and sump and realized(I should've noticed it before) that the back glass is about an inch higher than the front. So, my drainpipes don't drain fast enough to keep up with the return pump. I drilled the back of the DT for the drainpipes, so they can't be lowered. Aside from buy another piece of glass to put on top of the front glass to make it the same height, what else can I do? Any suggestions?

11. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Drain the tank and level it? It would be a pain, but would be the best long term I think.

12. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

The tank is level. The back glass is actually 1.25" taller than the front. Te front is 17" tall, the back is 18.25" tall.