Brain ?s

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by bluetang08, Nov 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bluetang08

bluetang08 Purple Spiny Lobster

So I dont know if anyone remembers but a few months ago I was posting about my wellso and trachy brains looking deflated during the day. I dont feed all the time but occasionally, I allow nature to do most through the majic of my fuge. I also once thought that my Tang was nipping them but not so sure now. My new theory (Drumroll): My lights are too bright!! Is this possible I mean the corals are on the SB but they aren't really "shaded." Anyways I have been pondering moving them into some shade too see if it helps and ws wondering if anyone with some experience could comment. By the way my lighting consists of a 48" 2-bulb T5 fixture with ATI blue+ and KZ Fiji Purple (12hrs) and (3) 250w SE MH on Magnetic Ballasts with Reef Optix reflectors running 20k XM bulbs (9hrs). The T5 fixture is about 1.5" off the water, the MHs about 10.5". My tank is a 125g 6' long and effectively 20" deep after the SB is considered. Sorry no PAR readings but its safe to say its pretty bright!! As a side note could my elegance be getting too much light also? I can exactly remember the date but I upgraded my bulbs around late July early Aug. I originally had stock bulbs (T5 were Current, the MH 14k Hamilton)

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

It is normal for them to be less puffy during the day than the night especially if you have strong lighting. I has a trachy that is partially shaded and it defletes during the day. Nothing to worry about as long as it stays healthy.

4. bluetang08

bluetang08 Purple Spiny Lobster

Yeah I mean they have been alive for months now so thats a good thing :). They just look better puffed up ya know so I was wonderin if that would help. Ill prob just leave them alone

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I agree some look better puffed up. Mine is very puffed at night so I like its daytime configuration better. It still is puffed just not completely.