brain id & help

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by nemo79, Aug 4, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Lighting adversity, and improper water parameters will place a huge burden on any marine life wiht which you keelp or plan on keeping!

2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I will never forget about this girl telling me she had a regal tang in a 12g nano. That was her starter fish that deathco sold her. I met her when her tank was 6 weeks old and having all kinds of problems. She had like 5lbs of liverock, 2 clowns, tang, firefish and some shrimp in the little 12g tank. Deathco sold the tank/tang/shrimp in the initial startup, all at once. Thats just stupidity on deathco's part.

4. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

Yes it is unfortunate. I always look at the livestock really well before purchasing, the dumb A$! mistake was that the brain was deeper in the tank and it was a high tank, being short I couldn't tell that there was white on the brains mantle nor could I see the shrinking from the distance. Had I seen this in the store I would never had purchased it...especially for the price I paid! i am not an impulse shopper and I know never to rely on the LFS advice. Now I have to get this brain back to full health, I don't want it dying, I have had only one coral die on me and that was when I was a newbie and didn't realize the colt was in bad shape to begin with. The brain is beautiful already and I love the shape of it, it filled out nicely today but the colour is still a light green but there is also a bit of a brownish colour appearing which worries me.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

That brown coloration is probably the zooxanthellae starting to grow back. We had a fungia coral "donated" to us by a friend who was having tank problems. It had bleached completely white in his care and after about a month in our tank, I thought it was a goner because I saw (what I thought was) brown diatoms growing on the ridges of the coral. A few weeks later, the coral had almost completely regained its bright green color. :)

6. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

Oh that is good to know. Last night I went to see it when lights were off, it was fuller and it's mouths were open so I squirted zooplex on it and wow, it filled up even more and it's mouths opened up fully. This morning it was nice a full and that was before the lights were on. So I am crossing my fingers. I have a finger leather near the brain, how close it too close? i don't want to disturb the brain at this point.

7. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

The brain has sweeper tentacles so give it some space, a couple inches.

8. Click Here!

9. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

^^^

I had a bran (the one geek now has)...it killed an elegance coral - damn pistol shrimp moved it when I was on vacation :(

So they can sting...and I assume it hurts

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Try dropping a small chunk of squid or clam or other meaty food on the brain (find a way to keep your fish and shrimp from stealing it) and see if it reacts :)

11. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

a under paid kid with no knowledge of fish and corals is less likely to notice their equipment is inadiquate and cheep and complain about it to management.something the large chains may be possibly considering when they hire.please don't get me started.my gf worked at deathco and showed me all the equipment and everything before she quit.ok i'll shut up now.

12. reefboy23

reefboy23 Feather Duster

thats definitely an open brain coral trachyphyllia i placed mine at the bottom of my tank with its bottom placed in the substrate and fed it 3 times a week and it flourished and looked awesome under the actinics if u have hermit crabs in your tank there is a good chance they will irritate the hell out of your specimen so keep a good eye and hopefully everything works out.