brain id & help

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by nemo79, Aug 4, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

I got this green brain on friday, it's really pretty but it was hard to the touch when I put in the tank, it has inflated a bit since I added it and it's mouths open but I need the pros to tell me what kind of brain and if the speciman is ok. At first I thought that I bought a dying coral, but I really can't tell, if it is it's going back and I am fighting with the LFS.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

The brain (Trachyphyllia) is deflated a bit and possibly a bit bleached but that might be a stress reaction. If it doesn't "puff up" within a week or so, I would have cause for concern so just keep an eye on it and see how it does.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

It definitely looks like it has bleaching going on as under the actinics, it should be fluorescing quite beautifully! As Annik pointed out, keep an eye on it and see what happens...You may want to reposition it within your tank for a possible resolution to the bleaching problem!
    Good luck D
    Tom

5. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

Damn. As soon as I removed it and placed it in my tank I noticed the problem and was none too happy. At the LFS I couldn't see the bleaching but it was deep and high in the display tank..I'm short so seeing it all was impossible. I was doing some reading and learned this is usually due to poor nutrience such as not being fed, what is more beneficial cyclopeeze or mysis? What are the chances of it surviving, is it really bad?

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

No need to start stressing out yet :) You won't be able to feed it until it puffs back up anyhow so once it starts doing that, try to put a small piece of squid or clam on it and see if it eats. It would probably be best to try to feed it when the tank lights are out.

7. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

here is the brain today with daylights

it is looking a bit better in my opinnion. It's definitely filled out and looking happier. I am very disappointed with the LFS for not taking care of their livestock. It's even more deplorable that they sell dying, half dead, or decaying coral at full price. The LFS I got the brain from is a big chain store!

Thank God it's not my fault for the brains condition and hopefully in my tank and with my dedication and care it may bounce back...also thanks for the help and suggestions. I have never nursed a coral back to health so hopefully with all your help I can get this guy back to normal

Attached Files:

• 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      54.4 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      52.9 KB
      Views:
    • 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      54.3 KB
      Views:
  8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

The coral is definitely looking better now so hopefully, it'll regain some color soon :)

10. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

deathco and wetfart I mean petsmart and petco among others, 99% of the time have no clue what they are doing when it comes to saltwater. The local deathco here, the "saltwater expert" has been keeping saltwater for less then a year, and has no clue about corals or treating the sick fish they sell to the public. They use to have a guarantee on saltwater, but it mysteriously went away. The LFS that sells quality livestock here, has no clue about corals. They use 4x40w NO fluorescents on their coral tank. So its a guessing game when you get zoanthids from them. Needless to say good luck finding sps or lps there.

11. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

Thats a shame, theirs a bunch of LFS were i live but i only stick to one. The owner is actually very knowledgeable and always has his corals and fish in awesome conditions. He is old school, still uses trickle filter but his water his extremely clean.

Nice brain nemo!

12. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

It is unfortunate that there are so many pet shops that are in the fish hobby(salt, fresh or African fish, corals and inverts)! To often is the case, that the pet shops employ persons of little knowledge to accurately help you to ensure your success or the pet shops success in the hobby IMO> and more often than not, the delicate and reliant livestock is in the hands of these people! Truly, livestcok is starting off their life behind the 8 ball in life within the confines of some of the pet shops. Improper advice,regarding fish compatability, coral selection, lighting, equipment, feeding, salt mixtures and cycling process!!!!