Brain got stinged, now what's happening??

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by yheartsp, Sep 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. yheartsp

yheartsp Purple Spiny Lobster

This coral got stung by yumas 2 days ago, the place that was stung was all white with some mucus coming out, now the white part seems to be spreading.. what's going on? i have placed the yuma away

[​IMG]
    sorry. taken with phone camera, the white stuff is on the left

[​IMG]
    this is how it used to look like

:-/

2. Click Here!

3. yheartsp

yheartsp Purple Spiny Lobster

Bump!

could it be brown jelly disease? it's spreading and i've moved it to my refugium :cry:

poor thing, stupid yuma!

4. yvr

yvr Skunk Shrimp

It looks like a case of rtn, possibly caused by a bacterial infection from the injury after the sting. You can try and use airline tubing to siphon off the dead/necrotic tissue. Then, depending on the severity of the infection, you may decide to try giving the coral a bath with a Lugols Iodine solution like TM Pro Coral Cure or similar product. The iodine will act as an antiseptic and hopefully prevent the spread of the tissue necrosis.

5. UltimateWarrior

UltimateWarrior Spaghetti Worm

If all else fails, you can most likely save a frag of it at least.
    I believe someone on the forum mentioned that with these types of corals, you can put a rubber band around part of the colony. The tissue under the rubber band will die, and you can cut the skeleton with a dremel. I have zero, zilch, nada experience with this, but I did read that somewhere on 3reef as a fragging method.

I'll try to dig it up.

Found it. Actually the coral in question was a bubble, not an Acan. I would be inclined to think it would work. There is a very real possibility I could be wrong.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  6. UltimateWarrior

UltimateWarrior Spaghetti Worm

I did some searching and found some informative threads from our friends over at reefcentral.

Frag discussion 1
    Frag discussion 2

That's for if you decide to frag it, or you could frag the dead/dying parts off.