Brain coral

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by starfish2217, Feb 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You can buy tincture of iodine at a drugstore and use 15 to 20 drops per liter of tank water, soak for 10 minutes then rinse off in another liter of tank water and replace in the tank. This can be repeated every other day or daily if dire.

2. Click Here!

3. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

Thanks for the tip! I will definitely try that!

4. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

The living part of that coral actually looks pretty good, IMO. It doesn't look like the whole piece is doing bad. However, it has a good amount of gravel on it. Has it ever been buried or tipped over?

I didn't read the torch thread, but are you having alkalinity or Ph issues?

5. starfish2217

I did do a water change and some sand may have gotten on it... but I got all of it off. the rest of it is lookin pretty good so we'll see. I havent tested my alkalinity I dont have a test for it.. I have high phosphates not sure about PH either... :/ the torch coral is actually looking MUCH better. I think it got stung all night by the bubble coral..

6. barbianj

At least get your water tested at a good lfs that uses liquid test kits and/or get your own. If you're not testing, it could point more toward a water chemistry issue. It won't want to eat if the water isn't good, either.

7. starfish2217

I use liquid test kids.. I just don't have one for PH..I'll go grab one.

8. Click Here!

9. barbianj

I'm confused, do you have an alk test kit? That's usually the first thing I check if something doesn't seem right.

10. starfish2217

ahh... I just have a reef master kid w/e that comes with... I think it has nitrates phosphates calcium and KH..... I NEED to get a PH and alk still.

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

KH=Carbonate Hardness=alkalinity :)

12. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

How is the brain doing? I use a turkey baster with chopped up squid and drop it into the middle - I have to fight the ghost shrimp tho lol
    I would suggest using gfo and carbon maybe chemi pure elite? What size is the aquarium?