Brain coral moving!?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by ShawnsTank, Feb 4, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ShawnsTank

ShawnsTank Fire Worm

I was looking at my tank today and noticed something. My brain coral was moving!:eek: haha i thought this was pretty cool. Im gunna look tommarow and see if it does this again. Heres a video and pics of my other 2 corals :) cant wait till' I have a full tank of them!

View My Video

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

check for snails and/or crabs, starfish etc under the brain

4. ShawnsTank

ShawnsTank Fire Worm

Brain only did it for a few minutes then it went back to normal. I didnt notice any snails or hermits but i also didnt look for any

5. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

sure it wasnt the flow either?

6. ShawnsTank

ShawnsTank Fire Worm

No i only have one koralia 2 on the other end of the tank

7. mikev15101

mikev15101 Purple Spiny Lobster

mine would move too, but it was between two pieces of live rock and it would inflate, then deflate, then inflate, so it would move around that way.

8. Click Here!

9. dorian

dorian Feather Duster

To clarify, the specimen is non-mobile, and is still demonstrating such in that regard.

The movement you are describing is normal. Consider the anatomy, the lobes are filled with fluid filled cysts! So instead of "tubes" of fluid found in other select LPS, these have "walls" of fluid!

Also, fun fact; the genus Wellsophylia has been eliminated and these specimens have been introduced into the genus classification Trachyphyllia.

10. ShawnsTank

ShawnsTank Fire Worm

Yeah just making sure its not anything abnormal or bad. When its doing this does it mean anything? Also two more questions.
    -My torch coral has a vein going along the back of it. And now its extending and theres this feather duster like thing on the end. Is this a new head forming?
    -When my coco worm goes inside is there always a reason? i know if i put my hand in there to do something it will go in if i get to close but tonight it went in twice then came back out a minute or so later.

11. dorian

dorian Feather Duster

Nope, nothing bad at all. Perfectly normal, and healthy! :)

I don't know about the "vein", I would need a picture of that. But regarding the other inquiry, it could be a new head, if it calcareously based (calcium derived), also a pic would be excellent also! ;)

Retractions by Coco worms is an evolutionary mechanism advantageous for survival. So, it is nothing to be concerned about at all!

I hope this helps! :wave:

12. ShawnsTank

ShawnsTank Fire Worm

Yeah thanks dorian that helped. If the "feather duster" like thing grows more ill get a picture of it but i dont have zoom on my phone so i cant get close enough.