bought new mushroom (closed up period)?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Rezamade, Jun 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CODEE111

CODEE111 Peppermint Shrimp

What do you mean when you say closed up? Can you send a picture?

2. Click Here!

3. Rezamade

Rezamade Plankton

That's pretty cool you know the process of cutting them. The store cut it right then and there then sold it to me, it was on a tiny piece of rock and I stuck it on one of my rocks that is about mid level and doesn't have any flow around it moving the rock,mushroom etc. I wonder id I should try to return it for one that is healed and all good??

4. Rezamade

Rezamade Plankton

Here is the mushroom near the back.

Attached Files:

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If it were me I would just be patient, most corals and mushrooms will not fully expand when new, especially if freshly fragged. The image looks perfectly normal for a newly acquired mushroom. Very nice coloration.

Basically there is nothing special to fragging them, you could chop them into pieces dump in the tank and most would survive if the parameters and lighting are fine.

6. Rezamade

Rezamade Plankton

Right on, I was starting to panic, lol. Thanks for the feedback you've been quite helpful. Patience is not my virtue lol

7. CODEE111

I agree with Corailline, it looks fine to me. The color is good and it is already attached to a rock, which is a step ahead of the game in my opinion.

Be patient, it looks like a mushroom.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  8. Click Here!

9. CODEE111

Mushrooms can with stand a lot. I've even heard of people putting them in a blender and ending up with frags.....ouch!:eek:

If the store cut off a piece of the rock and gave you the frag, rock and all, there is no need for it to heal since it was never cut. If that is the case then it is just acclimating itself to your tank.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  10. Rezamade

Rezamade Plankton

thanks for the replies guys, good lookin out! Ok I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope it opens up real soon;D my other one I bought is opening up awesome, don't know what its called, it's brown with flowerette like stems with 1 green dot in the center of all the buds.

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Sounds like Green Star Polyps (GSP).

12. Rezamade

Rezamade Plankton

Yup, that's what it is:) gotta get schooled on the names of the corals, there's only like hundreds of them lol