bought a 125 tank has black silicone

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by spongebob, Aug 22, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. spongebob

spongebob Flamingo Tongue

I just bought a 125 gallon fish tank and it has black silicone On the sides and clear on the bottom. I have had a lot of tanks and never have seen this before.
    I thought someone tried to fix a leak but it looks like it is in between the glass on closer inspection.. so it might be original.
    Is this normal or should I just reseal the whole tank before I fill it with water? I have resealed tanks before with success But not this big and if it came like that I will leave it. I just don't want 125 gallons of water in my Living room. Thanks for any advice. I am dying to get this thing filled and get some fish in there :)

2. Click Here!

3. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

My 90 gallon has black silicone.. It was bought that way, brand new. It should be good, and from the manufacturer; but if doesn't look well done, or you're worried, you could probably redo it

4. spongebob

spongebob Flamingo Tongue

OK thank you the thing that worried me was its black on the sides and clear on the bottom I never saw them mix colors. Sense its in between the glass I guess it has to be original. So I think I will leave it alone it does look a little ragged on the sides but its all there. I think it should be good

I can't complain I got the tank ,stand,top 3 stage lights, wet dry filter, protein skimmer,new pump for the return and everything else you needed except gravel rocks fish and water for $400. I bought it for an ex girlfriend and told her if she wanted to sell it I would buy it from her. She did get a better deal because it came with all the missing stuff with about 7 really big and nice fish when I gave it to her but its still a pretty good deal.

I just hate it because I know how much its gonna cost for coral rock and gravel. I am broke now but I know I will beg borrow and steal (not really) to get this thing up and running!!!!

5. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Fill it up in a garage or something just to make sure the is no leaks.

6. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

i cant say that ive ever seen 2 different colors used from the manufactor. my old 65g had black silicone but it was used on every seam. i would fill it up in the garage for a while for sure.

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

just a quick question, I don't think you're going to want gravel in the tank if you're going to keep SW or a reef tank.

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Is it drilled? RR? sump plans?

Definitely fill it with FW first, on a level area or the level stand, and check it for leaks

10. Stovebolt-V8

Stovebolt-V8 Feather Duster

I'ld go with the general thinking here, fill it in the garage and let it set for 2 or 3 days. While your waiting check your other equipment and start your research on your inhabitants :)