Bottled or Spring water???

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Scoffer, Oct 4, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skennelly

skennelly Coral Banded Shrimp

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

That is the one I have...LOVE IT! 8)

4. skennelly

skennelly Coral Banded Shrimp

That's great to hear birdlady....thanks for the reassurance.

5. OldandNew

OldandNew Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Scoffer,

Do any of your LFS sell NSW? You might consider that.

Cheers,
    Ray

6. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

Yeah, bought it a few times. Full of nutrients....

but...

12..99 per 4 gallons....ow!!!!

Dear Santa, please give me my own Ro-DI unit for Christmas. I was good 1 day this year.

Thanks
    Scoffer

7. OldandNew

NSW at $3/gal is a bit dear. You can mix your own for less or equal and have all the buffering and whatnot that they add to boot.

Here in Jakarta I can have a 50 gal water change for less than $20, and they do all the work. They filter and massage the water as well as add stuff to it, but the prob with NSW is that it lack all the buffers and additives and adding only lasts for a few days.

But for less than a buck a gal, I'm in SW heaven here in Jakarta. I've read here in the ether that in some places in the States people have access to public NSW from their local Public Aquarium for a great price. Wouldn't it be nice if all the public aquariums did that. Might get more membership from folks like us. Someday I'll retire from the foreign service and it would be great if you all got something like that going across the US before I did ...

Cheers,
    Ray

8. Click Here!

9. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

Here in Manila saltwater (ocean water not prepared) cost like P10 a gallon or around 20 US cents. For safety you still have to filter and UV it out.

10. OldandNew

Yes, basically that is what my LFS guy does to it, plus he adds trace elements.

UV units? Are they worth the investment?

Cheers,
    Ray

11. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

UV for reef tanks? Yup! But I don't go heavy with the UV. 4 watt for every 50 gallons only (so a 100+ gallon tank gets an 8watt, my 60 got 4 watts). Is there an effect? For me yes. I use to clean out algae on tank walls 2-3x a week. I do 1x since I got a UV.

For processing sea water (if I ever do so) I would use a UV and run it for an hour at least. Then filter the water (actually a HOT filled with carbon will do). Aerate then use for water change.

Good your LFS adds elements. Ocean water is supposedly complete already but enhancing it (say add iodine, trace, strontium, etc.) could make it better.

Have fun. dude. ;)

12. G-Boy

G-Boy Flamingo Tongue

Hey scotter, i use culligan. More expensive then yours tho. I dont have the option to refill my empties. I have to put a deposit on the bottles and exchange them for new @ $4 each. I like the refill idea. hmmmmm HEY CULLIGAN MAN!!!!