Boring tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by SwimsWithFish, Feb 8, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

put the lil guys into a bag of aquarium water and into the freezer.

From the pic, it looks like it could be several different things, its hard to make an exact diagnosis as many infection have similar or identical physical characteristics. Have you attempted any meds at this point?

2. Click Here!

3. tharsis

tharsis Peppermint Shrimp

yeah that fish doesnt look too good, euthanasia is probably the best choice. Put it in the freezer. The sickness is certainly contributing to the low activity.

But another factor is probably due to the numbers of fish you have. Tetras are schooling fish so they tend to be a little less active in small numbers. If you keep 7-8 neon tetras you will notice a definite increase in activity. You can keep alot of tetras in a 10 gallon tank without it being considered overstocked.

4. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Alright thanks for your help guys. After Putting this one down I'll up the numbers to 6 bloodfins and 6 neons. I read that the only way for it to spread is if a fish nibbles on the corpse of the sick one. True?

5. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

The disease is in your tank plain and simple. I would try to treat the outbreak first, before adding anymore fish, you could risk infecting more of them.

6. BigJim

BigJim Spaghetti Worm

I agree with NanoMano. I would keep a close eye on the other fish for a month or so to make sure they are not infected too.

7. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Alright will do. I'll go to walgreens tomorrow to see if I can get some clove oil.

8. Click Here!

9. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I keep 3 black neons, 3 neons, and 1 albino who are all doing great, they school in their own groups and the albino just hangs out. All super active, I know it's better to keep 5+ but I think they should be pretty active- i agree with the others- disease is whats making them all hide...