Blue Water 2000 Algae scrubber.

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Av8Bluewater, Jun 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Here ya go. This was about 2 days after cleaning. It's more of a bright green in person.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. SantaMonica

SantaMonica Fire Shrimp

So does any of the holes lose the algae?

4. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

i hit it with some sandpaper but will do with the hole saw. will this slow my growth down?

5. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Nice build. Keep us posted on the nitrate levels. I've been considering building one of these - I don't want to add another pump but may use the drain on my tank as the feed on the ATS.

6. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Yeah, probably some.. I scrape about all that will come off with the scraper and can't get into the hole too well. So I really spray it with the shower sprayer and a lot comes out of the holes. .. but quite a bit seems like it's rooted in there. Hard to tell if what i'm spraying off is just the stuff I scraped or actually coming from out of the holes.

7. the purple grimace

the purple grimace Astrea Snail

Ive been using one of these for about 6 months now and I swear by it.i ran mine off my overflow so no pump to worry with.my screen size is 10"x 12",got two 23watt 5000k cfl bulbs on it .one each side about 2"away.my biggest question about these things is when do you know when to remove skimmer from system?my skimmer is pulling out some nasty stuff still.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. troythegreat

troythegreat Astrea Snail

yeah, i personally think that scrubbers are a Godsend to reefers. IMO scrubbers work much better than skimmers at 1/10th the cost, all you need is a little discipline. I've had my scrubber running on my 75gal for about 7 months without any trace of nitrates or phosphates. I have 2 clowns, 4 damsels and a engineer goby plus many coral. i feed my coral once a day and my fish twice a day.........i clean the scrubber every 5 days and change carbon once a month........Good luck with your build Bluewater

1 person likes this.
  10. bioreefdude

any pictures of tanks anwd scrubbers

11. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Well. I've done two cleanings in the past week.
    Nitrates are the lowest I've seen in months and I haven't done a water change in 2 weeks.
    Right now it's about 15 NO3 and I used two different test kits.
    Could be a fluke as my nitrates go up and down depending on how much the engineer goby and blue spot dig in the sand.
    Anyway I'm excited things are going in the right direction. Also my skimmer has been off for 3 days as I've been re-plumbing a new pump. I was expecting the nitrates to be really high cuz I've been feeding a bit more here lately.

12. bioreefdude

so its been 2weeks i clean it lightly each week 1 side at a time but i dont know if i should clean it hard or soft. i've been doing it soft but i appear to not be cleaning as good .i do have green hair algae starting to grow but some of the algae left on after cleaning appear to die should i be cleaning it a lil better. Also i dont have santa monicas website so maybe u can pm me that thanks