Blue throat trigger in a reef tank

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by RemickJ, Aug 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RemickJ

RemickJ Teardrop Maxima Clam

Hey guys and gals- does anyone have a blue throat trigger and if so do you have it in a reef. I hear they are great fish and from what I understand they are reef safe for the most part. My LFS has one in a LPS tank and it does great..

Let me know what you think.

2. Click Here!

3. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

I was wondering the same thing, because they look great and one of my lfs's has one in a reef tank as well.

1 person likes this.
  4. chappy85

chappy85 Coral Banded Shrimp

I reallllly want one of those fish! But unfortunately my tanks not big enough :(
    Everything I've heard/read says they are very much reef safe. I know there are a few local reef tanks that have not had any issues with them.

1 person likes this.
  5. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

They wont bother your corals, but snails, crabs, shrimps, etc will be fair game

1 person likes this.
  6. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

Ike they are mostly reef safe.as stated before inverts are potential meals.if you get them small and keep them well fed they are less likely to go after your inverts because they will learn there is a meal comming.even then its a crap shoot but your odds will be better.

1 person likes this.
  7. Reef4life

Reef4life Feather Duster

I had one since he was small, at first they are shy but once they are used to their new place they will be out in the open all the time, except when the moonlight come on and ur daylights go off, then you will see them going into your rockwork to find a place to sleep.
    Mine eats straight from my hand, but I must say be careful cause they can nibble ;) I have 3 cleaner shrimp in my tank an a peppermint and he hasnt bug them at all, the only down side to this guy is that he is a LIL PIG! OMG this guy can pack food away like no other, he is very active when feeding so if you have timid fish you will almost have to feed him first and then the other guys, what i do is I hand feed him on a side of the tank while i drop food on the other side, even then sometimes when he is done with the food he swims to the other side like a torpedo trying to eat as much as possible. The other thing you must be aware is that he will eat from time to time your hermits, I seen him tip over the lil guys and when they are trying to right themselves he comes sweeping down and then all I could see where the lil legs sticking out... other than that he get really well with other fish doesnt bug coral at all... they are beautiful and always a conversation piece when people come over

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. evad1

evad1 Plankton

i had a blue jaw in a 180 for 3 years
    never touched coral but would try to go after my cleaner shrimp but they would just hide.

1 person likes this.
  10. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

A friend of mine had one I was going to buy because his never messed with inverts. I don't know what he did wrong but the fish died in his qt waiting for my 75 to cycle.

I see it mentioned that they sleep in the rock work but I don't see where it says that the rocks need to be very secure because the fish stiffen fins and wedge themselves in as a defense mechanism.

Great fish but 50/50 on the eating inverts so I probably won't plan on one now.

1 person likes this.
  11. RemickJ

thanks everyone! k+ I bought one today and must say it could be my new favorite fish! Really has some bright coloring.it has some really awesome coloring! As someone stated earlier in this thread he is hiding for the most part at this point but I did put Mysis in and he came right out for a snack!! I will post a picture as soon as I can get one with my brighter lights on.

12. RemickJ

Hey Everyone- As promised here are a couple pics of the trigger I picked up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]