Blue Spot Puffer - Large White Spot

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by imagasboy, Oct 8, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. imagasboy

imagasboy Plankton

Hi - just added this new edition to my tank over the weekend. Yesterday he developed a round, white spot on the side of its face. It is larger than ick and is not pertruding from his skin or look bumpy at all. Activity is normal, eating well, and swimming. Does not appear bothered by this spot. Overnight it does not seem to have changed size or shape. I have attached a couple of pics. Was hoping someone could help identify this and suggest treatment if necessary. I also have a melanopus clown and fuzzy dwarf lion in the tank, want to make sure whatever it is (if a disease) does not spread. He is in a FOWLR tank currently. Thanks for the help!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

doesnt look like anything to worry about to me. As long as he keeps eating he should be alright

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

That's one cool looking fish. How big does he get?

5. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

I couldn't tell you what the dot is, sorry, just wanted to say that is an awesome looking puffer! what do it's spot look like when it puffs up?

6. imagasboy

imagasboy Plankton

Thanks...I'll keep an eye on the spot, hopefully it is nothing to worry about and clears up over time. The puffer is about 3-4" long now, and its almost full size according to the aquarium I got it from. It may grow another 1", so its size was ideal for my tank given I am limited in fish selection with a 29 gallon. Apparently they are hardy fish that are easy to care for. He ate almost immediately and seems to be doing well other than the spot. Haven't seen it puff up and hope not to (only puff when stressed) otherwise he often flares his tail fin which is a real cool orange & blue color.