blue ribbon eel.

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by jerry26, Sep 20, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerry26

jerry26 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

so i bought a blue ribbon eel today and i know these things are very hard to care for. anyone have any experience with them?

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Reefbruh (Wayne) has kept them I believe. To attract his attention you might want to pm him or bump his thread. I have also heard they are indeed very hard to care for.

Good luck and congrats, they are beautiful.

4. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

I've tried at several times with one success finally. I found success with mine (had 2 at once) in a low fish populated 100g reef. Roughly 200lbs of rock, 40g sump, chiller set to 75F(ranged 74.5-76F betwene day and night). Water flow through the sump was at 2k/hr. and 4 Additional hydor koralia 4's. 2" Sandbed. Used 3 150w led fixtures. One ran heavy on the blues. I believe my key was the constant addition of an assortment of hermit crabs to keep a sizable population in the tank. I finally lost the pair as the 100g needed to be moved and instead of holding them in temporary tanks we put them into a clients 300g system which unlike our 100g I couldn't monitor as frequently. They managed to crawl out of the tank through an accidentally left open top. I was not happy :(

5. jerry26

are you saying it fed on the hermits?

your setup isnt that much different than my current system but i have a 280 gallon that will be setup within the next few weeks.

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

that looks to be beautiful eel. I've never heard of or seen them before. Good luck!

7. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

pretty sure they did. I checked for any predatory inverts in that system and couldnt find anything. there still could have been one in there, but the amount of hermit shells found from them being hunted(i doubt it was a water issue as shirmps and snails were perfectly fine during same time). And it was during the time we had the eels in the system seemed to thrive and grow a little.

8. Click Here!

9. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

10. helwidcha

helwidcha Flamingo Tongue

sweet!! I must have one! lol

11. jerry26

sorry for not replying, for some reason tapatalk didnt notify me or show updates when i checked earlier. i do have an update....

got him to eat today. im including a pic so you can see what i mean in my description. he will not at all eat non-living food, it must be live, so far at least. he likes to hang out behind my flowerpot so id take a red rosey and hold it in my hand but he seems intimidated by my hand, so what i did was take a wire and stick in the rosies mouth and stab it through the bottom. it helped keep a straight shaft that was easy for me to pull out once the eel hit it but somehow kept the rosie on. he had bit it several times but would not hold onto it, until i found he liked to sneak attack. i started running the rosie through the flowerpot like a clown playing in a nem and he grabbed it and pulled hard enough that i could feel it. however, he pulled it into the rocks and i did not see him swallow it so i decided to try another. i waited about 5 minutes and hooked another rosie the same way and put it by him, he ignored it. i ran it through the flowerpot and he grabbed it hard again. this time he pulled it to the back of the rocks which is the side i was feeding from and i watched him turn and swallow it whole.

goldfish seem to be too big. krill is ineffective, as are silversides. he may have eaten some brine when i sprayed some right in front of him. i couldnt really tell.

[​IMG]

12. jerry26

thanks for that. i havent seen that article before. it mentions success with red rosies in there and that is what i am having success with.

as for changing over to marine foods, i dont know thag i will. i usually gutload them with saltwater foods, feed them garlic enriched flakes, that sort of stuff. im gonna take it easy and try not to scare him out of eating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.