Blue or Royal Blue?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Maverick986, Apr 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Maverick986

Maverick986 Plankton

I'm working on an LED Light unit to replace my PC, but I need some input on what kind of blue/actinic lights I should get. I have the choice between Blue (450nm) and Royal Blue (470nm). Is one better than the other? I have read that the blue lighting is for effects, and not necessarily there to benefit the tank. Is this true?

2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Yes and no... Those wavelengths are pretty close together so they will do mostly the same thing. They will cause certain fluorescent chromoproteins to emit light. This will happen mostly in green colors, however there are certain zooxanthellae on some montiporas that will pick up the blue wavelength and fluorescence with an orange emmitance.
    Your perfect value to shoot for is 465nm but being on other side of that will still evict the same effect on your corals

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Use a mix of both to get a wider blue spectrum, I would say they are pretty equal.

5. Maverick986

Maverick986 Plankton

Thanks for the input. I'll probably do a 50/50, or would a 75/25 mix be better?

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Don't know if you would be able to tell the difference, but go with the 470 as the 75% color should you go that way..

7. crank2211

crank2211 Purple Spiny Lobster

FWIW, almost every DIY LED build I've seen has used Royal Blues. I did come across a reason for using Royal Blue over Blues in the past, but almost as soon as I read it, I forgot it :confused:

I would use Royal's exclusively for the blues.

8. Click Here!

9. Maverick986

Maverick986 Plankton

I too found a post at one point explaining why to go with Royal, but I also had seen one that explained only Blue. The post I'm basing most of my LED part list off of is here and they only used Blues, and no Royals.

I will most likely go with the Royals, but I am wondering if they will cause the coral to fluoresce more than the regular Blue? Although I do like looking at the corals under 'normal' looking lighting (white) I am interested in making them "pop" (fluoresce) more too.

10. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Cree Royal blues

11. crank2211

crank2211 Purple Spiny Lobster

That thread is jam packed with great information. That and like 2 others over on RC helped me decide LED was the way to go for my tank. For an hour and 1/2 in the morning, and at night, the 20 Royals in my fixture run by themselves and I almost can't believe how beautifully bright fluorescent my corals look. They're almost like mini neon flashlights. I never saw that kind of bright color before. I wish I could run them solo all day. I'm sure you'll be really happy with them.

I'm sure you saw it on the thread you posted, but RapidLed has some pretty good deals with the Cree kits. (LED mounted, Meanwell drivers, optics, paste and powercord) All you'll need is a heatsink.

Be sure to post and let us know how the build goes

12. Maverick986

Maverick986 Plankton

Sweet, thanks for the site, I've been looking at another place that the LED's are definitely more expensive. I just have to make a final decision on total # of LED's, thinking for my 15gal nano of going w/ 10 white and 10 royal blue. Is my thinking correct?