blue maxima clam

Discussion in 'Clams' started by muggle, Jul 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. muggle

muggle Purple Spiny Lobster

Alright, im dumb, need advice and took pics with a camera with no memory card, but as i look at my clam, if you look at the opening and there are two side of the clam that "close" . It appears as if there are multiple sides to the clam on each side, the clam would be sitting in one or two "shells of the base". Does this make sense?

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

The shell is made of two pieces that the clam controls how open they are. It has a byssal (sp) opening that it attaches itself to rock through with special threads.

5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I just don't get what is being asked in OP. :-/

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Me either so I gave the OP basic idea of how it looks. The only thing that comes to mind it that it may be attached to a shell and the OP has never seen an empty shell and was seriously confused.

7. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

sounds like a riddle

8. Click Here!

9. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I'll take Clams for $1000 Alex :)

I wasn't sure either so I opted to play Jeopardy.

The clam's mantle extends over its shell like a flower opening. It should have a spout & a hole for taking in water, this ends chapter 1, quiz tommorrow!

10. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

Okay my advice is, put a memory card in your camera, then take pictures ;D

11. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

are you looking in the siphon and seeing the clams gill or are you actually talking about the shells itself?

A maxima shell will have "ridges" along the shell that sticks out fairly obvious. Then at the bottom there is a white "foot" that is oval shaped that will attach to a rock....sometimes it can grab ahold of another shell or rock and carry it with them (I know at the LFS I worked at we would place the clams on an empty shell or some other plate for ease of sale....it was easier to do this versus having the foot attach to the bottom of the tank!

sadly, I too have taken pictures without the memory card, so right there with ya! but definatly try to get a pic so we can help figure this out