Blue hippo tang with ich

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by punisher101, Jan 9, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

If you don't have inverts..repeat..if you don't have inverts..hyposalinity is a possible fix. Do some research on it..there are tons of articles about it..and decide if it's for you. A lot of people think that raising the temperature to around 80 will help. This is more effective with freshwater ich, though. My understanding is that it just speeds up the life cycle of the parasites.

Edit: Saved you some time..here is a pretty good article

2. Click Here!

3. moose

moose Astrea Snail

From the link I provided above:

Treatment Option 4 - Hyposalinity:
    Low salinity has been demonstrated to be an effective treatment against Cryptocaryon irritans (Noga, 2000). A salt level of 16 ppt or approximately 1.009-1.010 specific gravity at 78-80*F for 14 days was reported to kill the parasite. I have never experienced problems when placing fish into a hyposalinity treatment, but have routinely witnessed fish showing obvious signs of distress when brought back to normal salinity levels too quickly. For that reason, I try to limit the specific gravity increase 0.001-0.002 points per day.

One of the alleged benefits of this treatment is the resulting conservation of energy for the affected fish. Reef fish have to constantly drink saltwater and excrete the salt to maintain the proper osmotic balance. Lowering the salinity of the surrounding environment eases this energy demand on the sick fish, thereby allowing them to expend more energy towards fighting the infection (Kollman, 1998 and Bartelme, 2001). On the contrary, keeping fish in low salinity means that they don't "flush" their kidneys sufficiently. After long-term exposure, this can cause kidney failure and kill the fish (Shimek, pers. comm..)

4. punisher101

punisher101 Astrea Snail

man thx for all your help is really appreciate same goes to every one that reply to this post im hoping that the blue gets better .

5. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

no problem..that's what we're all here for!

6. map95003

map95003 Bubble Tip Anemone

There is a product that works well...at least in my experience, and again from my experience it is reef safe if used as directed, I used it over a year ago and it did not cause any problems in my reef.

It's called Kick-Ich, you have to turn off your skimmer during the dosing period. There is another product that works called Herbtana by Microbe Lift. Read up on them, something you might want to consider if you don't want to QT your fish.

Keep in mind that if you don't QT your fish (all of them) there is a good chance you will always have ich in your tank, but if you keep your tank and fish healthy going forward you would probably be OK.

7. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

I'm going to respectfully disagree with map95003...I have tried Kick-Ich with no results..I followed the instructions perfectly and saw no effect whatsoever. It just made my tank stink and turned the water brown. IMO..i believe that if these reef safe ich treatments "work" then it is just a coincidence. Again..Just my opinion..

8. Click Here!

9. map95003

map95003 Bubble Tip Anemone

Irr, I respect your opinion...When I made the post I knew there would be lots of reefers who would disagree, but like you said we all have our opinions. It worked for me, so that's my experience, that's the main reason I stressed "from my experience" in my post. I do believe we should QT, however it's almost impossible to not bring disease into your system unless you QT everything, fish, corals, snails, crabs, etc., includins myself most reefers don't have a QT system that would allow them to QT everything, you have to add meds when QTing fish (unless you use hypo), which means you can't use the same QT system for corals, snails, etc....Even though ich don't feed on snails and crabs, the parasite could come be in the water they are in, in hermit shells, etc....just my opinion.

10. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

So, Punisher, there are both sides of the story..it's entirely up to you!

11. punisher101

punisher101 Astrea Snail

well thx fellas ima go with the salt lv and temp option first even tho that punk a&^ EMO fish just F&*%$ die today im so piss now i hope he dint pass it to the clown or wrasse. i tell i will never buy one of those again they are so emo that if another fish looks at then wrong they get ich im tired of them, but thx u fellas.

12. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

Tangs are pretty prone to it. We both learned that the hard way. Since the parasite its guaranteed to be in your system now I would still do the hypo.