Urgent Blue Hippo Ick?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by blazinlow89, Jan 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

Thanks....

Just an fyi My hippo and my my maroon clown are the only two fish our of almost 20 that made it through a full tank crash We lost a black tang, 3 yellow tangs, a show achillies tang, a mated pair of cross hatch triggers and multiply other fish but my hippo made it through this also. its had ich 4-5 times and is a trooper. Hang in there they are tough.

2. Click Here!

3. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

In my opinion and past experiences QT'ing does nothing but stress tangs out, I refuse to QT any of my tangs now. It just always worsened things. Quite a few of tangs have a lower protective mucus/membrane on their skin. Thus using harsh chemicals such as copper can also have its affects as well. In my tanks past since I stopped QT'ing, If a fish worsens to a point, I do a Fresh/Saltwater Dip. 50% of the tanks water, + 50% new fresh r/o water. Its not as stressfull as doing a full freshwater dip. I have done this a few times on my achilles. He has been a trooper. And all is well now. Make sure the fish eat, get vitamins, and add a little garlic to their food to entice them to eat. After an ich outbreak in the past, on a few of my fish, got them cleared off, feed and treated the tank with melafix. which helps heal wounds.

It has worked like a charm for me :).

1 person likes this.
  4. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

K+ to you red. I agree 100 percent!

5. flyguy91318

flyguy91318 Astrea Snail

When you do the fresh/salt water dip how long do you leave the water like that? And how does that affect corals??? I have a break out in my 125 and I really do not want to tear the tank apart to get the fish out.

6. james37128

james37128 Coral Banded Shrimp

Is it too late? With the freshwater dip, I left my hippo in until it looked like it was giving up on life, then pulled him out... seemed like way to long, but it worked. Then again tried the same with a flame angel, the angel did not make it through the next night. By the way you don't do that to your tank, you use a separate container (like a small tupperware).