Blue background or black?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by BrianJ, Apr 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BrianJ

BrianJ Peppermint Shrimp

Should I paint the back blue or black? What are the pros and cons of each?
    Pictures would be helpful. I'm thinking blue will make the halides really shimmer? I just don't know which color to go with :confused::confused::confused:

2. Click Here!

3. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Painting the back will absorb a certain amount of light, where leaving it bare will allow it to reflect back into the tank. There have been discussions and arguements for and against this on the boards. My 150g, I put black background on it. On my other tanks, they don't have any. It's a personal choice really. I don't see any difference in illumination with or without the background.
    Metal Halides will have a shimmer effect regardless of background color, and will shimmer if you have it or not.

4. divott

divott Giant Squid

i painted mine black. but doesnt really matter any more , with the amount of live rock and coraline , cant really see the back anyways. lol

5. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

I'm gonna vote for black. I think there are very few tanks that look good with a blue background. Just my opinion.....

Ivan

6. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

+1 for the black. Once you get the tank really built up, as divott stated, the background wont be noticeable. But I would say until then paint it black. It really makes everything in the tank pop! :) I personally don't think the blue looks that good, but it is more of a personal preference.

7. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

Maybe a dark blue almost blackish would be a good medium I have seen it done before looks pretty good I am still deciding on what to do with mine as well

8. Click Here!

9. brew0688

brew0688 Fire Shrimp

I'm also lost on this one.

I haven't painted mine either color yet, but I did read a good post somewhere on here last night, about going to walmart and getting a piece of limo tint for 14 bucks. It saves the worry of getting fumes / chemicals in your water, and that way you can decide if you like the black. If not, take it off, and get some paint. (make sure it's roll on and water based!)

10. ClamsOnDemand

ClamsOnDemand 3reef Sponsor

Personaly I like Black the most!

11. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

I just use those photo paper backgrounds.. usally there double sided.. so if I get tired of one side I just untape it and turn it over. they sell black and blue side ones..

12. fish-aholic 94

fish-aholic 94 Gigas Clam