Bloke's 90g Build Thread

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Bloke, Jul 1, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bloke

Bloke Fire Worm

OK, here we go...

I bought a 90g reef-ready tank from Sea Dreams to replace the 55g tank sitting in my family room. I wanted something a little larger without going to a 6' tank. I will be running it with a 45g sump which should give me a nice volume of water. The sump used to run DNGSPOT's 150g setup so it should work great for this 90g. It has already been drilled for an auto top-off and I already have a float valve - therefore, it's ready to go.

For plumbing, I have an Ocean Runner 3500 which pumps ~950gph. I am sure with a single drain that I will have to adjust it, so I plan to use the pump to run a UV sterilizer as well. I have heard nothing but good things about these pumps and best of all, they run very quietly, which is another plus since this tank will be sitting within 3 feet of the TV.

I've already purchased the lighting for it from a place called Catalina Aquarium. I really would suggest checking them out. I bought a 2x250w MH setup including 2 10k bulbs for less than I could find at most other sites including piecing one together. The only draw back is that some sites offer free shipping whereas they do not.

My first chore is to build a stand. The tank footprint measures 48.5 x 18.5. More to come...

Here are a few pics of plans for the stand, including the SketchUp blueprint I drew.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Bloke

Bloke Fire Worm

For the sump, I think I am going to have a place where the water can flow over a filter pad before dumping into the return chamber. You can see the pieces of glass which will be holding up the eggcrate and filter media on the left side. My only concern is keeping the calupera off the media, but if it does, the water will simply overflow the last baffle which is lower than the top of the sump.

This is a 45g (~ 48x12x19) tank. Water will be moving from right to left. The display tank will be draining down from the left side to the right side of the sump. I wanted to reduce the head pressure on the pump so I figured I would have it make the shortest run instead of the drain - does that make sense? The pump plumbing will run straight up about 2 feet is all.

[​IMG]

4. Bloke

Bloke Fire Worm

Well, I think I am going to put the skimmer on the intake side (1st Chamber). I know some prefer to put it on the return side, but I will not have the room. The sump is going to fit VERY tightly!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Bloke

Bloke Fire Worm

Anyone heard any reports on Fulham Electronic Ballasts?

I've used a Workhorse5 to fire 2x36w PC actinics without trouble and was thinking about buying a Workhorse7 to fire 4x54w T5. I've gone to Fulham's website and if you select the lamp type (T5 Linear HO) and then select 4x54w T5, they suggest the Workhorse 7.

Most online vendors price other T5 ballasts at twice what this ballast would cost me to run a similar setup.

I already have a 2x250w MH 10k setup, and was looking for something for actinic supplementation. I know Bogey runs 2x96 PC in her 90g and since T5 bulbs are cheaper and seem to last longer, I thought I would go this route instead of PC lighting.

Also, am I correct in my understanding that URI bulbs do not require a reflector because one is built into the bulb?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

6. Bloke

Bloke Fire Worm

Here's a picture of the progress on the stand...

[​IMG]

7. Bloke

Bloke Fire Worm

Tank is awaiting the stand to be finished. As you can see I have most of what I need to get this project up and running. I may get everything placed and plumbed before I skin the cabinet to make sure there wont be any problems.

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. Bloke

Bloke Fire Worm

I've got the majority of the work done Saturday, but I'm not finished. I still have some trim work to do on the canopy as you can see, and of course the doors aren't made yet. Overall, I can't compain; it's coming along nicely. To cut the holes for the doors, I used a router with an edging bit. Worked like a charm.

I hope to be finished with everything tomorrow so I can start to stain this weekend.

[​IMG]

10. Bloke

Bloke Fire Worm

Well, between visiting with some family friends, talking a while with missile150 (Jim), and watching the race today, all I got accomplished was finishing out the canopy. As you can see, I managed to get the rest of the trim on the canopy, the ventilation holes, as well as the lid and the hinges.

I wanted to make certain that I didn't have to hold up the lid when it was lifted, so I bought spring-loaded hinges; typical to those found on children's toy boxes so that once lifted, it would remain open.

For ventilation, I cut three 3" holes in the back. I will leave the center hole open and install two 3" Sunon fans in the others. I plan to finish out the doors tomorrow.

[​IMG]

11. Bloke

Bloke Fire Worm

Here is a FTS:

July 24, 2007
    [​IMG]

September 30, 2007
    [​IMG]

Several fish have been removed to lower the bioload as well as allow these guys ample room to grow. The fivefish you see are the only fish in the tank:

True Percula (mated pair)
    Desjardin's Tang
    Purple tang
    Regal Tang

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Tank looks fantastic! 8)
    (you should enter the video contest! ;) one day left to enter.. )

I've never seen plans that nice.. what software did you use?