Bloated Angel

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by facky2000, Feb 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. facky2000

facky2000 Plankton

I have a Lemonpeel Angel that I had to quarantine because of ich. However, these past couple days, I've noticed that the fish is bloated in the stomach/mid section and it's color has faded. Fish is also not eating now but was a really good eater up till when it got bloated. I've read of dropsy, but from what I understand, the scales stick out like a pine cone, but my angel does not do this. I read if it has dropsy, it's pretty much screwed.

Water quality is good (0ammo, 0nitrite, 10 nitrate). I was going to do Hypo but not sure now. I'ts been in quarantine for about 10days. I used some bio-media, spare foam filter from my sump and DT water for the quaratine tank. Anybody know what's up?

2. Click Here!

3. Yellow Tang

Yellow Tang Bubble Tip Anemone

How is he doing
    wish i could help

4. facky2000

facky2000 Plankton

Unfortunately, yesterday it died :(. It's swimming/breathing slowed down signficantly towards the end and it's body was very bloated. The color had fadded a lot too from it's normal vibrant yellow. I've been trying to search the internet to see what the disease is, and the closest I could find was dropsy. From what I understand, dropsy is caused by some bacteria and if it gets to the stage of bloating, it's pretty much terminal - antibiotics usually doesn't help at that stage.

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Could have been dropsy ? or the swim bladder had a build up of gas or simple constipation what are you feeding and how often ? The last two are easy to threat swim bladder we just use a pin or needle and puncture the bladder and release the gas Constipation the proper food and there are a few meds like medical paraffin oil, Now Dropsy sometime antibiotic will work But I Just yank and toss the fish not worth saving or allow the infection to spread . And there are certain parasites that form large cyst that grow in the fishes belly and they will bloat up like that like a pot belly , again best is to just toss it out nothing with this problem much will work . This is also rather rare problem

6. Yellow Tang

Yellow Tang Bubble Tip Anemone