Bleaching LR

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by starfish2217, May 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

Yea thats what im worried about... hmmmmmm ..... I hate the smell of beach.

2. Click Here!

3. kornaco40B

kornaco40B Spaghetti Worm

What!? Bleach smells awesome! Smells like clean bathrooms and public swimming pools from those days way back when... ;D (...pretty much completely off topic, but you started it...)

4. starfish2217

yuck... yea i'll just toss it. I dont really need it and its not worth the cost.

5. cdgardner11

cdgardner11 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Don't toss it. Just rinse it in RO/DI, then put it in a bucket of Ro/DI and a dose of chlorine remover for fish tanks. Use double the amount that the product calls for. It will remove any bleach that still remains in the rock. If you are still scared let it dry in the sun and then you can put it in your tank.

I have done this using a chlorine remover my brother uses for fresh water fish and had no ill results.

People use bleach to clean stuff all the time for fish tanks.

6. starfish2217

okay I will try it :D thanks

7. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

hey starfish do you have a build thread? I see all your threads, I wanna check out how the 40's coming along!

8. Click Here!

9. starfish2217

I don't even know how to work this site really haha or manage threads.. or do whatever... but maybe I should start one! the tank is doing great :D

10. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

lol over 900 posts and you don't know how to work the site.. Somehowww I doubt that haha. But yeah you should make a build thread and you could post all your questions on there! That way you won't have to make a diff thread everytime a question arises..

11. dumbderk

dumbderk Purple Spiny Lobster

I have had to bleach rocks that friends have given me, I don't trust anyones tanks so I do that if I am accepting any rock, for future reference just get enough water to dunk the rock in or enough to pour on the rock to cover it, after you pour it on the rock you should notice it turning white, leave it out in the sun to bake and you are good to go, I have never had to use bleach :p

12. starfish2217

haha see I honestly don't know how to even do that :p I really kinda just read stuff on there and just make a thread if I have a question!