Unresolved BLAH Red Hair Algae?? (VIDEO ADDED!)

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by MoJoe, Feb 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Def red slime. The reason it looks like filiments is because its spinning the bacteria on the sand bed (breaking it up but not all the way) I've had this happen, i too use the algae remover and it didn't come back.

2. Click Here!

3. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Here is a video of the red slime/hair, just want to be 100% sure it is cyano as some have said it shouldn't have hairs on it. You can clearly see the hairs in the video I took today.

(might take a few secs to load)
    http://www.joebeleznay.net/pics/red slime.MOV

Any input would be great, thanks!

Joe

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  4. ingtar_shinowa

5. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

Its cyano 100percent & it can get stringy & thick! mine started like yours but after 3 months fighting it it turned dark purple & thick like a carpet. Its a bacteria & in the end i gave in & used chemi clean......because of how thick it was i cyphoned out as much up as possible ( to stop it killing my tank when it died as it releases toxins) then treated it with the chemi clean then cyphoned out the remaining dead stuff & had to repeat the treatment again as it started to grow back! Second treatment killed it...........

Good luck x

6. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

Hi !

Here are some of my pics!

Attached Files:

7. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

wow klarah, that looked horrendous. I've done everything that was recommended and I'm still battling this slime, frustrating. I do have chemiclean but am using it as last resort. If it doesn't get any better in another week I will dose it.

Did you use an air stone when you dosed the tank? I've heard conflicting reports that some were ok without using one, but I swore I've read others that said chemiclean killed fish or inverts when they dosed.

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

I had a bad breakout a couple years ago and used Blue Vet Red Slime Control by ?Blue Life? It worked well and the just was gone after 2 weeks, now I only have GHA lol. guess thats what PO 4 reactors are for right??!!