Unresolved BLAH Red Hair Algae?? (VIDEO ADDED!)

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by MoJoe, Feb 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

Not that much cut it back slowly like 1 hour a week? I would only cut it back until 5 hours, And it took me 1 month for each one. I got red slime twice because I changed substrate from CC to LS. Then I had GHA which took 1 month, Then Cynao like 2-3 weeks. I have been algae free for like 2-3 months (Fingers crossed lol)

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Why not just treat with a red slime removing product like Chemi-Clean?

4. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

About 2 weeks?

1 person likes this.
  5. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I have thought about it, I'm normally hesitant about using chemicals but I have read positive things about it.

I'm fairly sure the root of the problem was overfeeding and not rinsing my frozen food. I would feed a cube a day and dilute them in tank water and then feed with a baster. I'm sure that wasn't a good thing.

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I've used Chemi-clean in the past and never had a problem with it. I'd use it in a second but only if I was positive that I had fixed all of the issues that caused the outbreak to begin with. If you use it and it comes back, you'll know that you've still got something in the tank feeding it.

7. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Sounds like a plan. Is this the ChemiClean, just want to make sure I get the right one if I order it: Chemiclean Red Slime Algae Remover

thanks!

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

That's the stuff. Boyd's also makes a red slime remover but I haven't found that one works any better than the other so use whichever one your LFS has for sale. You'll have to turn off your skimmer and remove carbon while you're treating your tank but those and other instructions will be included in the box with the product.

1 person likes this.
  10. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

i also used the same product exactly a year ago, and it has not come back since then (knocks on wood).. the product is very reliable and i have only heard good things about it and it is reef safe..

11. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Great to know, just ordered some!

12. billyboy2

billyboy2 Coral Banded Shrimp

Its red cyano. It's not an algae but a bacteria that acts like one. It will overrun a tank in time because it uses wastes like nitrate and phosphate 100 time faster than benifical algaes can. It caused a bacterial infection in my fish, and i had to treat in QT. I then had to dose the DT with antiboitics to clear the red cyano out of the system. I used a product called chemi-clean which is reef safe and haven't seen a spec of the stuff since. Lots of people think it is related to circulation but i increased mine by double and it did nothing. When it gets to a certain point you must treat with antibiotics or it will overtake corals and cover your LR.