Unresolved BLAH Red Hair Algae?? (VIDEO ADDED!)

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by MoJoe, Feb 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

So, I have noticed a small portion of my sand started to turn a reddish/brown color over the past few days. I had turned the sand over to get rid of it. Today I woke up and it has sprouted hair all over the algae, it's on my Zoa's now also and I'm not 100% sure what it is. I'm worried it will overtake my sandbed/corals/rock, if someone could help me identify it that would be great. It's not diatoms, def some type of hair algae.

My tank has been running for about 5 months, luckily had no issues or outbreaks like this yet. I do not dose the tank with anything. Recently started running a Phosp reactor with Seachem SeaGel in it. My water params are all in check as I just had a sample tested at the LFS. Calcium, Alk, Mag, PO4 are all fine from that test. I also have a good CUC that has been great.

Also I use RO/DI water only, I do 5g water changes per week. I have a 260w PC fixture that I run 9 hours a day on the tank, haven't changed the lighting cycle or light source for the past 3 months without issues.

Here is a pic, sorry it's a little hard to see, but there are hairs coming off, fairly longish.

Will this red vermin take over?

Help!
    Joe

Attached Files:

• ha.jpg
      ha.jpg
      File size:
      214.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

It's red slime, Is your LS new?

4. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

LS = Live Sand?

Nope my sand has been in since day 1.

5. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

Yup live sand, Well it's because your tank is fairly new. Your phosphates are high, Do a w/c that will lower them. Also you can run some phosphate remover thats what I did & a w/c. (Water Change)

6. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I mentioned I am running a TLF Phosp reactor and the Seachem SeaGel does contain P04 remover, my Phosp level is 0 (below 0), tested last week. I will test again but I'm pretty sure it's zero still as the media was loaded in just a few days ago.

7. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

Well idk then lol I'll bump this for you and let someone else chim in ;)

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Thanks! Yeah I'm starting to notice the red hairs on piece of my LR too, dang, hoping it's nothing extremely bad. I'm not sure if it's red slime as it does have hairs, not sure.

Hopefully someone can chime in.

1 person likes this.
  10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Increase your circulation rate to 20X tank capacity. Make sure some of the flow gets down to the sand.

11. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Really, hmmm I currently have two Koralia #2 pumps and they are somewhat angled to the sand. So, is this red mat of hairy algae cyano or red hair algae?

You're saying the flow will stop it from growing?

Thanks,
    Joe

12. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

cyno / red slime.............Mine started like this & built up quite quickly to cover the whole of my tank. I had hidden nutirents it was feeding off as every time i tested for nitrates it read 0............sneeky devil!

after 3 months fighting a lossin battle i have up & went chemical! to go's with algea x & it was gone & i then had to keep the nitate down..............I added helmatilda algea ( cant spell it! lol & that now eats all my nitrates

Hope this helps K