Black spot on leather?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Korrigann, May 25, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Korrigann

Korrigann Plankton

Hello!

It's been a while since I've posted. My tank has been doing great. It currently has a CuC, clownfish pair, and a few corals: one zoa, one green star polyp mat, and this finger leather (as well as 2 tiny hitchikers). Parameters are all perfect.

All the corals and livestock are doing great, but the leather (one of the newest) is acting funny.

I brougt him home a few days ago and put him near the middle and where he could get medium light and moderate flow. He was open and looked good, but I decided to turn him just a bit for aesthetic reasons to fill more of the open space, and now he won't extend. He's just kinda shrunken and flopped over. So I moved him up higher for more flow and a little more light, and while moving him, I noticed a tiny black spot near the base of his foot. I did a quick search online and read that it should be cut out, but I'm still so new to the hobby that I'm somewhat afraid to and don't know how to do it properly. Scrape it? Cut it out with a razor?

Since moving him higher, I've noticed he's starting to straighten up a bit but he hasn't extended yet.

Also, pardon the picture. I had to take it with my phone, so it's turned sideways, but I think the spot is visible enough.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Leathers are weird like that they do not like to be moved and will often takes days to reopen.
    Leathers also have to shed a waxy coating that develops on the surface of the coral. This waxy coating allows the corals to rid it's self of algae growth and collection of detritus.
    Leathers like more flow than a lot of people think.

For now I would watch the black area to see if it enlarges.