Black Powder

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by GraviT, Oct 14, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

[quote author=GraviT link=board=CoralHealth;num=1097813186;start=0#8 date=10/22/04 at 17:09:23]Not sure if this is related to the BlackPowder use or not, but I am in the midst of another cyano outbreak...I hate this crud!  It's starting to cover my new frags and my fungia plate...darnit!  :huh:[/quote]

BINGO, you've found out what black Powder does for a reef. IMO disconinue use, call it a loss, and flush the junk. Any product that does now list the ingredients, be very skeptical of.

I've used all MS products, all are snake oil IMO. Slick packaging, yup!

2. Click Here!

3. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

It must be very powerful whatever it is. I was only using 1/4 tsp twice a week and my nitrates are up to 25 and I've got cyano-a-plenty. I've made sure that nothing is dead lying around. Of course, there is always the chance that some snails or hermits are dead somewhere.

Time for a water change..sigh ::) Think it's a good time to harvest some caulerpa also, it's getting pretty thick and blocking the light from the lower sections.

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

It messes with test kits I've heard, your probably getting a false reading.

5. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

That could be. I put so much faith in my Salifert tests, I didn't even stop to think about that. Too bad, my montipora digi. seems to love the stuff and has started a growth spurt since using it.

I think I'll find some cylopeeze and give the blackpowder the boot.

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

[quote author=Gresham link=board=CoralHealth;num=1097813186;start=0#10 date=10/23/04 at 13:11:20]
    Any product that does now list the ingredients, be very skeptical of.[/quote]

but but but....it's fractionated from animal sources resulting in a bio-available electrically charged amino acid complex Gresham! Nothing that sounds that good could possibly be bad! :)

Didn't know that it had a reputation for causing cyano outbreaks. You can bet I'll be turning people away from that product whenever possible!

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

[quote author=Gresham link=board=CoralHealth;num=1097813186;start=0#10 date=10/23/04 at 13:11:20]

BINGO, you've found out what black Powder does for a reef.  IMO disconinue use, call it a loss, and flush the junk.  Any product that does now list the ingredients, be very skeptical of.[/quote]

I've been told that this product is nothing but dessicated livestock blood. Amcarrig posted,

After reading that, I'm even more confident in my source.

If you keep a lot of non-photosynthetic corals or "dirty" corals like flowerpots or elegance corals that live in highly turbid conditions, I might consider it. However, for most tanks, I would highly recommend against adding such a product unless you like problem algae.

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Dessicated livestock blood?! That's pretty gross.

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

11. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

i've heard that this doens't do anything. is this true, has anybody used it and found out that it doesn't work.

12. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

HL,

did you read this whole thread? Asked and answered.... ;)