Black Moor Spawn

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by Nathanial, Mar 22, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nathanial

Nathanial Plankton

A while back I was concerned my larger black moore may have had ich or fungus so I quarantined him. He stayed isolated and medicated for nearly a month before I realised he was really just showing signs of his sex. Tublicars were on his gill plates and pectoral fins. I began noticing it as well on my med sized moor. I decided to sex the plumper third moore... my favorite one by the way. She was full of eggs. Once they were all back together all the sexing must have rubbed off as the chase was one. The first spawn was unfruitful however. A few weeks later... last week today... I noticed my large male had my female actually inverted and lodged in the base of my dwarf water Lilly. Spawning again all my plants were full of eggs this time. I removed most of the plants and placed them in a five gallon bucket half full with a sponge filter air line and heater. A couple days later noticed my heater may have gave out and overheated the eggs. The water was far warmer then it should have been. Most if not all the eggs I could see had turned furry white. Removed what I could and almost gave up on the second spawn. My girlfriend convinced me just leave it alone and see what happens. A few eggs did remain in the tank they were spawned in so maybe hope lived. After work last night the eggs were missing... did my khuli loaches eat them? Hours it seems I stared into the tank. Finally I noticed them. About a half dozen newly hatched black moore fry stuck to the sides of the glass. I was very excited... and worried as the tank is tall and full and has my loaches. Btw the males were placed with my Koi as separation did do the trick the first time and I figured all was at a loss again. The female is accompanying a few tetras and guppies who are all getting my Ranchu tank cycled for my upcoming Ranchus. Back to the story... this morning I could only locate one fry in the tank. Sad news maybe or they are just hidden. However I decided to take a look in the five gallon... dozens at least of day one or two black moore fry. Could not be happier. ;D

VID 20140322 114025 - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Well congratulations.! They are my favorite fresh water fish.

4. dsmerf214

dsmerf214 Fire Shrimp

congrats:) I was so excited when my fish mated too:)

5. Nathanial

Nathanial Plankton

Count

Counted 210 so far... plus or minus maybe two. Had to move them to a new bucket. I was afraid of the unhatched eggs making them sick. :-X I am going to have to start cycling a large tote very soon. Still can not locate the half dozen that were in the parents tank. If I could find them I would get them with the rest of the fry and put my males back in their tank. Competition for food against Koi is fierce for a moore. Upgrades are need all through the house... just located three more... 213 +/- 2 :eek:

6. Nathanial

Nathanial Plankton

Thank you... and props on the video assist ;D

7. Nathanial

Nathanial Plankton

8. Click Here!

9. Nathanial

Nathanial Plankton

Found a few more in the tank they were spawned in... 219 +/- 2 now :)

10. Nathanial

Nathanial Plankton

Lol ... they look like this ...
    -: -: -: -: -: -: -:

11. Nathanial

Nathanial Plankton

12. Nathanial

Nathanial Plankton

Finally got my black moor fry a health diet of hatched brine shrimp. They already look bigger... even the smaller ones. Still feeding them some micro worms and hikari first bites as the brine shrimp eggs take at least 24 hours to hatch. Problem is the other foods foul up my water far to quick. It is a lot of work but hopefully out of the 200 fry I find a few that would be worth breeding next year. As it comes time to cull I will focus mainly on tail type aside from obvious deformities. I want black moors with split tails. Seems most local fish stores sell fused tailed moors. The mother's tail has a good split but both fathers had fused tails. May be slim pickings on the traits I want in my fish.