Black mold

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by fly, Jul 7, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You will need to thoroughly clean the skimmer and filter every week or more often. I would add another circulation pump on the other side of the tank.

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

So as you hopefully know, you are borderline overstocked on fish already (some may argue you already are). With this, I am thinking the filtration is not keeping up with the amount of fish for that sized tank. What kind of skimmer is that? Also, I am thinking you need more flow than just the filtration and the one powerhead.

A sump with a refugium compartment would help out immensely IMO. Could this be an option for you?

4. fly

fly Astrea Snail

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Thank you for providing more details.

Your fish tank is over stocked, most likely over feed and without adequate filtration.

You need to cut back on the stocking considerably, your tank is headed for a crash.

I would not use any Red Slime remover in your current system the results may be very bad.

Consider a larger system.

6. fly

fly Astrea Snail

7. fly

fly Astrea Snail

8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

What are the dimensions of your tank, I have never heard of a 24 gal before.

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

fly we will help you any way we can.

11. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

what lighting is that? I ask because it looks like your tank is being blasted by light and i dont see many corals. This could also lead to unwanted algae growth. I see alot of small tanks without adequate filtration because HOB skimmers available to nano reefers just arent comparable to a good in sump skimmer. An HOB fuge would do wonders for that tank, and a sump would too. Also, I think if your filtration isnt keeping up with the waste, weekly water changes will do wonders

12. fly

fly Astrea Snail

I have aphasia. API Saltwater Master test kit? ebay?
    :)

Attached Files: